Cannot connect to Web service or ASP.NET website from another mach

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by naveed, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. naveed

    naveed Guest

    I have the simple Hello World web service running in debug mode on my
    development machine
    (XP Pro SP2). I'm using VS2005. I'm able to access it from my machine. When I
    try to access it from another machine (also XP pro SP2), using the URL:
    "http://nav:24035/WebServ/Service.asmx?op=HelloWorld", I get a "Cannot find
    server or DNS Error" error.

    There is no firewall on either machine. Windows firewalls are disabled. I'm
    able to access this URL just
    fine: "http://nav". I get the same exact errors with
    http://nav:24035/webserv/service.asmx

    Without the port, I get this error:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    The resource cannot be found.
    dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
    temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure
    that
    it is spelled correctly.

    Requested URL: /webserv/service.asmx

    I also tried a simple web site and I have the same problem. Why does VS2005
    use a port other than 80?

    Please help.

    naveed, Oct 19, 2005

  2. naveed

    Peter Kelcey Guest

    Naveed,

    VS 2005 ships with a built in web server called cassini. For security
    reasons, this web server only handles requests from the local machine.
    So you can only use it for debugging locally. If your application is
    not deployed in IIS and you try to run the application from VS2005,
    then this local web server takes over automatically. You can use
    Cassini for debuging you app, but once you've finished, you will need
    to upgrade it it to run under IIS.

    You can add a web reference to you new webservice from another
    application on the same machine. If you want to do this, you will
    probably want to turn off the dynamic ports feature that uses a random
    port number each time you run the app. To do this, select the property
    grid for your project and you'll see a "use dynamic ports" property. If
    you set this to false, you can hard-code a port to launch your app
    under so that you can connect to it from another local application.

    Hope that helps

    Peter

    Peter Kelcey, Oct 20, 2005

  3. naveed

    naveed Guest

    Re: Cannot connect to Web service or ASP.NET website from another

    Peter,

    Thanks. That was indeed the problem.

    Naveed

    naveed, Oct 20, 2005