Cannot find the trace.axd file

Ginette Latour

In the Visual Studio .NET reference For Dummies book,
there is a section that describe how to use the
application level tracing feature with ASP.NET
application. This is done with setting the appropriate
parameters in the Web.config file.

So here is the trace section of my Web.Config file;

<trace enabled="true" requestLimit="10"
pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime"
localOnly="false" />

My problem is that when I run the application, I cannot
find the trace.axd file that should be created in the
application root directory (according to the book).

Is this feature working or not? If it is, what are the
things that could prevent the trace file to be created?

Anatoly

I think trace.axd file is not actually exists on disk.
You can navigate to it in IE by http:\\AppPath\trace.axd
HTH

Alvin Bruney

That's right.
Here is the full scoop. Trace.axd is an http handler which returns a set
number of application details related to tracing. The set number is read
from the config file. Since it is a handler, it can add overhead to a page
so it should be turned off in real world deployment. That's also the reason
why won't find an axd file on disk because it is a handler.

Tracing is managed by a trace object which is part of the page object. I
believe the actual instance is that of tracecontext. I really don't know why
i keep all this junk in my head. :)