Cannot open a project

Goober

I have a dotnet web app that opens & works fine.

There's another application on the same server, in a folder below the web
application. Both web apps are set up as virtual directories there and both
work on the server.

I am preparing to take ownership of the new project, and have tried to open
it, but get the following message when I try to open it:

"Unable to open web project 'myproject'. The file path
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebproject does not correspond to the URL
http://localhost/mywebproject. The twe need to map to the same server
location. Http: error 400: Bad Request."

The way I got the vbproj file over is to go into my wwwroot folder on my
machine (Windows XP), create a folder mywebproject, and then go to the
server the running app is on, grab everything in the mywebproject folder,
and bring it over to my local box.

I have tried 40 ways from friday, and cannot open the new project.

I've checked local IIS settings, for the older app (which I can open), and
the new app (which I cannot), and they are pretty much identical.

I've tried editing the .vbproj folder and pointing it to localhost (it is
currently set to the production server name), and that doesn't work.

Even swearing at it hasn't helped.

I'm to the point of considering re-installing Visual Studio 2003 on my PC,
thinking that something's corrupt.

Help!!

SC

Karl Seguin

Don't think you mentioned it, but c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebproject is set up
as either an application or a virtual directory, right?

Karl

Goober

Yes it was.

I've gone back, deleted it, and am in the process of re-creating it and then
adding it as a virtual directory in IIS.

SC

Goober

Never mind.

The 3rd time I deleted the folder on my hard drive, copied it over, it
finally opened.

Not sure what the problem was, or exactly what fixed it, but I am thankful
that it apparently now is able to be opened.

SC

Jervin Justin

Make sure that your virtual directories have read access, that's the
most likely reason since one of your folder works but the other
doesn't.

To do this, open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Internet
Services
Expand the computer name and "Default Web site", find the folder that
has the project, right click, choose properties and make sure "Read"
(and maybe also Directory Browsing) are checked.

Lemme know if it works.