Can't debug?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bob Altman, Aug 25, 2008.

  1. Bob Altman

    Bob Altman Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm a very experienced VB.Net developer just starting to climb up the
    ASP.Net learning curve. I followed a couple of the beginning "how to"
    tutorials included with the MSDN docs, but I've run into a problem that I
    can't figure out. When I run my simple ASP.Net web app under the debugger,
    it doesn't stop at any breakpoints.

    Here are the details: I'm using VS 2005 Team Suite SP1. I created the
    solution by selecting "Create: Website" from the start page and selecting
    the "ASP.Net Web Site" template. The first time I tried running under
    debug, I got a polite message telling me that I needed to uncheck the
    "Disable script debugging" setting in Internet Properties, which I did.
    That made the message go away, but that didn't help. I've checked my
    web.config file and it contains

    <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true"/>

    When I press F5, Visual Studio looks like its starting to run under debug,
    but then my web page is displayed and breakpoints are simply ignored. (The
    red ball next to the breakpoint is filled in, indicating that the debugger
    is happy with that line. And I know it has to be executing that line
    because I see the result on my web page.) Another strange behavior is that
    the part of the VS text editor that was occluded by my web page when it was
    displayed is not redrawn correctly, leading me to suspect that VS is somehow
    unnaturally unhappy with something I'm doing.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA - Bob
    Bob Altman, Aug 25, 2008

  2. Bob Altman

    Bob Altman Guest

    > The red ball next to the breakpoint is filled in, indicating that the
    > debugger is happy with that line.

    Ok, that's a red herring. When I press F5, the Visual Studio IDE changes as
    though it is beginning to run under debug, but by the time my web page is
    displayed the debugger appears to have terminated. That is, the IDE is
    ready for me to resume editing, and the Debug->Run menu item is again
    available. That's why the breakpoint is displayed as a solid red ball --
    it's being displayed in "edit" mode, not in "debugger is running" mode.

    But even though the IDE is back in "edit" mode, my web page is still being
    displayed by the ASP.Net Development Server as though I had pressed ctrl-F5
    rather than F5.
    Bob Altman, Aug 25, 2008

  3. Hi Bob,

    Welcome Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service! My name is Hongye Sun [MSFT].
    It's my pleasure to work with your on this issue.

    Based on my understanding of your issue, I know that your problem is that
    in your machine F5 shortcut key works exactly the same as Ctrl-F5 when you
    are developing ASP.NET project. It is strange that I have tried to create a
    new website and debug it as the same as what you have described, but I
    cannot reproduce the situation that you had. What I did are:
    1. Reset me development settings to VB development settings. Since you have
    experience on VB, I suppose you are using this setting.
    2. Create a new ASP.NET website from startup page.
    3. Change the Web.config file to "<compilation debug="true" strict="true"
    explicit="true" />"
    4. Edit Default.aspx.vb file to override onload event:
    Partial Class _Default
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

    Protected Overrides Sub OnLoad(ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
    MyBase.OnLoad(e)
    Response.Write("Test")
    End Sub
    End Class
    5. Set breakpoint at Response.Write("Test"), and press F5.
    Finally the breakpoint hits.
    Please let me know if there is any difference than what I have did.

    In order to narrow down the problem, would you please help us to try the
    following actions:
    1. Reset your VS 2005 settings, you can do it by opening menu Tools /
    Import and Export Settings, and select Reset all settings click Next, and
    choose to back up your settings and click next again, choose the VB
    Development Settings and click Finish.
    2. Right click the website project and click property pages, select Start
    Options, make sure the ASP.NET debugger is checked and use default web
    server.

    Bob, please try the actions and let me know whether it works for you. If
    you have any other concerns or questions, please DON'T hesitate to tell me.

    Regards,
    Hongye Sun (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    .

    ications.

    Hongye Sun [MSFT], Aug 25, 2008
  4. Bob Altman

    Evertjan. Guest

    "Hongye Sun [MSFT]" wrote on 25 aug 2008 in

    > Welcome Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service! My name is Hongye Sun
    > [MSFT]. It's my pleasure to work with your on this issue.

    This is not the Microsoft Newsgroup Support Service but Usenet, Hongye.

    > Based on my understanding of your issue, I know that your problem is
    > that in your machine F5 shortcut key works exactly the same as Ctrl-F5
    > when you are developing ASP.NET project. I [..]

    And this NG is specialized in classic ASP,
    so please do not use it for ASP.NET questions.

    Misusing Usenet is detrimental to this NG and to the Microsoft name.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Aug 25, 2008
  5. I really thank you for correcting my fault, Evertjan.

    This NG is specialized in classic ASP programming. And it is improper to
    discuss ASP.NET here.

    Hi Bob, in the future, for all ASP.NET issues, I would suggest posting in
    the newsgroup below:

    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most
    qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who the newsgroups
    regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction
    with us. Thank you for your understanding.

    After you create a new post, we can continue on your issue. Have a nice day.

    Hongye Sun [MSFT], Aug 25, 2008
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed
    ("Hongye Sun [MSFT]") writing in

    Here's a little bit more to mull over, Hongye:

    > I really thank you for correcting my fault, Evertjan.

    Please quote the relevant portion of the post to which you are
    responding. The original message might not be available on my server,
    so in order to know what you are on about, you would have to quote that
    relavent portion.

    <snip>

    > After you create a new post, we can continue on your issue. Have a
    > nice day.

    You could cross post this message (with appropriate quoting and
    trimming) to the appropriate group and set followups to that group.

    > Regards,
    > Hongye Sun (, remove 'online.')
    > Microsoft Online Community Support
    >
    > Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
    > and suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to
    > you. Please feel free to let my manager know what you think of the
    > level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my
    > manager at: .

    > rights.

    An acceptable signature should be two dashes and a space followed by a
    carriage return with no more than 4 lines of text.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 25, 2008
  7. Bob Altman

    Bob Altman Guest

    > This NG is specialized in classic ASP programming. And it is improper to
    > discuss ASP.NET here.
    >
    > Hi Bob, in the future, for all ASP.NET issues, I would suggest posting in
    > the newsgroup below:
    >
    > microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

    No problem...
    Bob Altman, Aug 25, 2008