    Any suggestions anybody?

    Thanks.

    Richard

    Richard Daly, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Richard Daly

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    "Richard Daly" <> wrote:

    > I've just erased all the files in my website and uploaded an entirely new
    > batch. For some reason the new ones are just not appearing in my browser.
    > I've pressed F5 a dozen times, but I keep getting the old versions.
    >
    > The problem must have something to do with the Temporary internet files, but
    > I don't want to erase them in case this adversely affects other programmes.
    >
    > Any suggestions anybody?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Richard

    Look at your site in a different browser. Try Firefox. Download
    Opera.

    Turn off your machine and reboot.

    (I doubt erasing temp files will cause any trouble).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Richard Daly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Richard Daly wrote:
    > I've just erased all the files in my website and uploaded an entirely new
    > batch. For some reason the new ones are just not appearing in my browser.
    > I've pressed F5 a dozen times, but I keep getting the old versions.
    >
    > The problem must have something to do with the Temporary internet files, but
    > I don't want to erase them in case this adversely affects other programmes.
    >
    > Any suggestions anybody?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Richard

    Check permissions of the files on the web site.

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

    Dave Kelly, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Richard Daly wrote:
    > I've just erased all the files in my website and uploaded an entirely new
    > batch. For some reason the new ones are just not appearing in my browser.
    > I've pressed F5 a dozen times, but I keep getting the old versions.
    >
    > The problem must have something to do with the Temporary internet files, but
    > I don't want to erase them in case this adversely affects other programmes.
    >
    > Any suggestions anybody?

    Look at them with a different browser -- one that's never been to the
    site to have cached it or one you *don't* mind deleting cache from.
    You do use more than one browser for checking your site, don't you?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Richard Daly

    MG Guest

    "Richard Daly" <> wrote in message
    > I've just erased all the files in my website and uploaded an entirely new
    > batch. For some reason the new ones are just not appearing in my browser.
    > I've pressed F5 a dozen times, but I keep getting the old versions.

    Try Ctrl-F5. That sometimes works.

    MG

    MG, Apr 2, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > The problem must have something to do with the Temporary internet files, but
    > I don't want to erase them in case this adversely affects other programmes.

    I don't understand why you wouldn't want to erase the Temporary Internet
    files. I may not have a lot of experience writing HTML but I do have lots
    of experience as a network manager. Simply deleting all the files in the
    "Temporary Internet Files" folder should not affect any other programs.
    The only program that uses those files is Internet Explorer. If you
    manually delete all of the files then you will also delete the cookies.
    This will cause you to loose settings for many web sites including some
    memorized passwords. However, if you choose { Tools / Internet Options ;
    <General> ; Browsing history ; [Delete] ; Temporary Internet Files ;
    [Delete Files] } then IE 7 will selectively delete only the cached web
    pages and leave your cookies alone.

    Grant Robertson, Apr 2, 2007
  7. Richard Daly

    Richard Daly Guest

    "Grant Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > The problem must have something to do with the Temporary internet files,

    but
    > > I don't want to erase them in case this adversely affects other

    programmes.

    > I don't understand why you wouldn't want to erase the Temporary Internet
    > files. I may not have a lot of experience writing HTML but I do have lots
    > of experience as a network manager. Simply deleting all the files in the
    > "Temporary Internet Files" folder should not affect any other programs.
    > The only program that uses those files is Internet Explorer. If you
    > manually delete all of the files then you will also delete the cookies.
    > This will cause you to loose settings for many web sites including some
    > memorized passwords. However, if you choose { Tools / Internet Options ;
    > <General> ; Browsing history ; [Delete] ; Temporary Internet Files ;
    > [Delete Files] } then IE 7 will selectively delete only the cached web
    > pages and leave your cookies alone.

    This problem did go away for a while (just after I erased some history files
    in Foxfire, for some reason), but now it's back with a vengeance.

    I have deleted all the history and cookie files in both IE and Firefox, but
    a changed page on my website refuses to update itself. I've redownloaded
    that same page, to be sure I hadn't uploaded the wrong one.

    (Opera is my main browser, and I can only selectively delete history files
    and cookies with it, otherwise a metric tonne of stuff would be lost.)

    I've tried rebooting my computer after cookie deletion, and control+F5 (and
    F5 on its own).

    I've even uploaded *all* of the website files, overwriting the old ones.

    All to no avail.

    My OS is W2K.

    What on earth could be causing this?

    The website does have a cookie setter. Here's the script:

    function SDMenu(id) {
    if (!document.getElementById || !document.getElementsByTagName)
    return false;
    this.menu = document.getElementById(id);
    this.submenus = this.menu.getElementsByTagName("div");
    this.remember = false;
    this.speed = 3;
    this.markCurrent = true;
    this.oneSmOnly = false;
    }
    SDMenu.prototype.init = function() {
    var mainInstance = this;
    for (var i = 0; i < this.submenus.length; i++)
    this.submenus.getElementsByTagName("span")[0].onclick = function() {
    mainInstance.toggleMenu(this.parentNode);
    };
    if (this.markCurrent) {
    var links = this.menu.getElementsByTagName("a");
    for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++)
    if (links.href == document.location.href) {
    links.className = "current";
    break;
    if (this.remember) {
    var regex = new RegExp("sdmenu_" + encodeURIComponent(this.menu.id) +
    "=([01]+)");
    var match = regex.exec(document.cookie);
    if (match) {
    var states = match[1].split("");
    for (var i = 0; i < states.length; i++)
    this.submenus.className = (states == 0 ? "collapsed" : "");
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.toggleMenu = function(submenu) {
    if (submenu.className == "collapsed")
    this.expandMenu(submenu);
    else
    this.collapseMenu(submenu);
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.expandMenu = function(submenu) {
    var fullHeight = submenu.getElementsByTagName("span")[0].offsetHeight;
    var links = submenu.getElementsByTagName("a");
    for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++)
    fullHeight += links.offsetHeight;
    var moveBy = Math.round(this.speed * links.length);

    var mainInstance = this;
    var intId = setInterval(function() {
    var curHeight = submenu.offsetHeight;
    var newHeight = curHeight + moveBy;
    if (newHeight < fullHeight)
    submenu.style.height = newHeight + "px";
    else {
    clearInterval(intId);
    submenu.style.height = "";
    submenu.className = "";
    mainInstance.memorize();
    }
    }, 30);
    this.collapseOthers(submenu);
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.collapseMenu = function(submenu) {
    var minHeight = submenu.getElementsByTagName("span")[0].offsetHeight;
    var moveBy = Math.round(this.speed *
    submenu.getElementsByTagName("a").length);
    var mainInstance = this;
    var intId = setInterval(function() {
    var curHeight = submenu.offsetHeight;
    var newHeight = curHeight - moveBy;
    if (newHeight > minHeight)
    submenu.style.height = newHeight + "px";
    else {
    clearInterval(intId);
    submenu.style.height = "";
    submenu.className = "collapsed";
    mainInstance.memorize();
    }
    }, 30);
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.collapseOthers = function(submenu) {
    if (this.oneSmOnly) {
    for (var i = 0; i < this.submenus.length; i++)
    if (this.submenus != submenu && this.submenus.className !=
    "collapsed")
    this.collapseMenu(this.submenus);
    }
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.expandAll = function() {
    var oldOneSmOnly = this.oneSmOnly;
    this.oneSmOnly = false;
    for (var i = 0; i < this.submenus.length; i++)
    if (this.submenus.className == "collapsed")
    this.expandMenu(this.submenus);
    this.oneSmOnly = oldOneSmOnly;
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.collapseAll = function() {
    for (var i = 0; i < this.submenus.length; i++)
    if (this.submenus.className != "collapsed")
    this.collapseMenu(this.submenus);
    };
    SDMenu.prototype.memorize = function() {
    if (this.remember) {
    var states = new Array();
    for (var i = 0; i < this.submenus.length; i++)
    states.push(this.submenus.className == "collapsed" ? 0 : 1);
    var d = new Date();
    d.setTime(d.getTime() + (30 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000));
    document.cookie = "sdmenu_" + encodeURIComponent(this.menu.id) + "=" +
    states.join("") + "; expires=" + d.toGMTString() + "; path=/";
    }
    };

    End of script

    Is there anything here that could be causing this?

    Thanks.

    Richard

    Richard Daly, Apr 6, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have deleted all the history and cookie files in both IE and Firefox, but
    > a changed page on my website refuses to update itself. I've redownloaded
    > that same page, to be sure I hadn't uploaded the wrong one.
    >
    > (Opera is my main browser, and I can only selectively delete history files
    > and cookies with it, otherwise a metric tonne of stuff would be lost.)
    >
    > I've tried rebooting my computer after cookie deletion, and control+F5 (and
    > F5 on its own).
    >
    > I've even uploaded *all* of the website files, overwriting the old ones.
    >
    > All to no avail.
    >
    > My OS is W2K.
    >
    > What on earth could be causing this?

    Ah ha! I bet there is a proxy server somewhere between you and the web
    server that is still caching the old version of the page. I bet it goes
    away if you just wait a few days but reappears if you view it and change
    it within a certain time period.

    Check with your sys-admin or ISP to see if they run a proxy server.

    This could also be caused by any kind of "internet accelerator" programs
    you may have on your PC or similar services from your ISP. These are just
    dumbed down names for a proxy server.

    Grant Robertson, Apr 6, 2007
  9. Richard Daly

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I have deleted all the history and cookie files in both IE and Firefox,

    but
    > > a changed page on my website refuses to update itself. I've redownloaded
    > > that same page, to be sure I hadn't uploaded the wrong one.
    > >
    > > (Opera is my main browser, and I can only selectively delete history

    files
    > > and cookies with it, otherwise a metric tonne of stuff would be lost.)
    > >
    > > I've tried rebooting my computer after cookie deletion, and control+F5

    (and
    > > F5 on its own).
    > >
    > > I've even uploaded *all* of the website files, overwriting the old ones.
    > >
    > > All to no avail.
    > >
    > > My OS is W2K.
    > >
    > > What on earth could be causing this?

    > Ah ha! I bet there is a proxy server somewhere between you and the web
    > server that is still caching the old version of the page. I bet it goes
    > away if you just wait a few days but reappears if you view it and change
    > it within a certain time period.
    >
    > Check with your sys-admin or ISP to see if they run a proxy server.
    >
    > This could also be caused by any kind of "internet accelerator" programs
    > you may have on your PC or similar services from your ISP. These are just
    > dumbed down names for a proxy server.

    Fascinating. (Bloody marvellous, in fact!) Tell me, could it possibly be
    caused by an external hit counter service? Would that function as a proxy
    server?

    Richard

    Richard Daly, Apr 6, 2007
  10. In article <>,
    says...
    > Tell me, could it possibly be
    > caused by an external hit counter service? Would that function as a proxy
    > server?

    Now here is where I am really speculating: I guess it depends on how that
    hit counter service works. If they cache pages and then serve them out in
    order to determine who is a new viewer and who is a previous viewer then
    they might. But you would really have to ask them.

    Grant Robertson, Apr 7, 2007
  11. Richard Daly

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Tell me, could it possibly be
    > > caused by an external hit counter service? Would that function as a

    proxy
    > > server?

    > Now here is where I am really speculating: I guess it depends on how that
    > hit counter service works. If they cache pages and then serve them out in
    > order to determine who is a new viewer and who is a previous viewer then
    > they might. But you would really have to ask them.

    I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of the mystery. Thank you very
    much for your help.

    Richard

    Richard Daly, Apr 7, 2007
  12. Richard Daly

    Richard Daly Guest

    > "Grant Robertson" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > > > Tell me, could it possibly be
    > > > caused by an external hit counter service? Would that function as a

    > proxy
    > > > server?

    > > Now here is where I am really speculating: I guess it depends on how

    that
    > > hit counter service works. If they cache pages and then serve them out

    in
    > > order to determine who is a new viewer and who is a previous viewer then
    > > they might. But you would really have to ask them.

    > I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of the mystery.

    Well, this turned out to be much harder than I expected. What seems to have
    been the problem was that I used a hired form for a short while. Although I
    stopped using it - and forgot all about it - my website was still registered
    with the service. I unregistered yesterday, made a website change
    immediately afterwards, and was able to see it at once. So it looks as if
    the proxy server was the form provider.

    Complicated business, website designing, isn't it?

    Richard

    Richard Daly, Apr 16, 2007