CBC/BLOWFISH, NEWBIE HELP - CAN'T DECRYPT FROM SAVED FILE

Homer J.

Hello,

I'm wondering if the experienced PERL people can help me here.

I'm stuck. I'm trying to use Crypt::CBC using Blowfish to encrypt
some data. I can get it to encrypt and decrypt OK as long as I assign
the ciphertext to a variable and decrpyt it from that variable all
within the same script execution. However, when I save the ciphertext
to a text file and then subsequently open the file and read in the
ciphertext to a variable and finally try to decrypt the cipheredtext I
get garbage instead of my original test message.

Someone please help! I'm sure it's, something obviously wrong that
I've done, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Homer
(e-mail address removed)

Greg Schmidt

I'm stuck. I'm trying to use Crypt::CBC using Blowfish to encrypt
some data. I can get it to encrypt and decrypt OK as long as I assign
the ciphertext to a variable and decrpyt it from that variable all
within the same script execution. However, when I save the ciphertext
to a text file and then subsequently open the file and read in the
ciphertext to a variable and finally try to decrypt the cipheredtext I
get garbage instead of my original test message.

Someone please help! I'm sure it's, something obviously wrong that
I've done, but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Are you writing and reading the file in binary mode? Text mode may do odd
things to binary data such as cipertext.

Homer J.

Greg Schmidt said:
Are you writing and reading the file in binary mode? Text mode may do odd
things to binary data such as cipertext.

Hi Thanks for your replies. Yes I think that did it! Thank you.

Homer