CDONTS Failure

scott

I have my win 2003 server setup correct with SMTP. I know because I've
tested it ok.

However, when I issue CODE 1 below, I get ERROR 1 below. I thought having
SMTP installed correctly allowed ASP to use CDONTS as a mail generator. Is
there more to it?

CODE 1:

Set objMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

ERROR 1:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
Server.CreateObject Failed

/mlcnet/library/cls_DataReports.asp, line 22

800401f3

Agoston Bejo

Actually the others are right about CDONTS being deprecated. I still managed
to use it on my WinXP though, by simply copying the cdonts.dll (or similar)
file into my System32 directory.

scott

thanks.

Agoston Bejo said:
Actually the others are right about CDONTS being deprecated. I still
managed
to use it on my WinXP though, by simply copying the cdonts.dll (or
similar)
file into my System32 directory.

Adam Short

I have several servers, some 200, and some 2003, if you wish to use CDONTS
instead of CDO you must register the CDONTS.DLL file in component services.

This will work fine.

Although there are many developers that say use CDO instead, I have chosen
to keep the legacy DLL in place for backwards-compatibility.

Hope this helps.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

I have several servers, some 200, and some 2003, if you wish to use CDONTS
instead of CDO you must register the CDONTS.DLL file in component services.

This will work fine.

Although there are many developers that say use CDO instead, I have chosen
to keep the legacy DLL in place for backwards-compatibility.

I'm not convinced this is a good solution. If you move to a different host,
you have to do the same CDONTS.dll registration. If you add a new server,
same thing. When you migrate to the next version of Windows, same thing
(assuming it is still supported). Plus, I remember reading somewhere that
the act either violates your license agreement, or invalidates product
support, or both. Not that they will ever come after you for it or suddenly
deny you support, but some shops do need to keep strict adherence in mind.

I can't imagine it would take all that long to change existing CDONTS code
to use CDO.Message. Spend the time now, have a common SendMail() function
in an include file, then the biggest problem is changing your mailing code
in one place instead of throughout your application.

Jeff Cochran

I have several servers, some 200, and some 2003, if you wish to use CDONTS
instead of CDO you must register the CDONTS.DLL file in component services.

You also have to have a copy of the DLL, properly licensed of course.
All to use deprecated technology with more limited options and
automatic incompatibility in future OS releases.

Jeff

Adam Short

I completely agree with you Aaron, you should try to keep up with the latest
supported versions of software. But unfortunately it is sometimes quicker
to install a DLL, take the risk of loosing support, than to re-write
hundreds of websites that currently use the old method.

Luckily these site will eventually by re-designed/re-developed and I'm sure
developers will take that opportunity to upgrade. We already have, and do
use CDO as opposed to CDONTS, I was merely letting Scott know it could be
done, how to do it, and for whatever reason. I didn't recommend he used
CDONTS instead of CDO!