    localhost), before I host it on the Web Servers.

    Regards,
    C.K.

    CK, Oct 25, 2004

  2. "CK" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    > I know this question is stupid. But i need some advice for this. I
    > am trying to develop a website, which will allow the user send to order
    > form
    > to the admin email. I am planning to use the CDONTS component method.

    Please don't use CDO (cdosys.dll) which is default while CDONTS is
    obsoleted.

    > Can I just to localhost server to test, whether the form can be
    > send
    > up to the admin's email. Or I must have the Hosting server to do that. Can

    you'll need a local SMPT server or you configure CDO to use a remote server.

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Oct 25, 2004

  3. CK

    CK Guest

    Hi Egbert Nierop,
    Thanks for your information. Can you do me one
    more favour. Do you have any information about to setup and configure the
    SMTP? I am a newbie to asp. Thanks for your help.

    Regards,
    C.K.

    "Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    CK, Oct 25, 2004
  4. "Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > "CK" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> I know this question is stupid. But i need some advice for this.
    >> am trying to develop a website, which will allow the user send to order
    >> form
    >> to the admin email. I am planning to use the CDONTS component method.

    > Please don't use CDO (cdosys.dll) which is default while CDONTS is
    > obsoleted.

    Sorry, typo!

    Please don't use CDONTS, use CDO(cdosys.dll) which is default on win2k and
    better while CDONTS is
    obsoleted.
    see for good samples http://www.aspfaq.com

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Oct 25, 2004
  5. "CK" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Egbert Nierop,
    > Thanks for your information. Can you do me one
    > more favour. Do you have any information about to setup and configure the
    > SMTP? I am a newbie to asp. Thanks for your help.

    Just use the defaults and be sure that your SMTP server can access any valid
    DNS server.

    It's not that difficult :)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=816121

    Knowledge Base

    HOW TO: Set Up and Configure an SMTP Virtual Server in Windows Server
    2003PSS ID Number: 816121
    Article Last Modified on 3/1/2004

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, Premium Edition

    For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 308161.
    IN THIS TASK
    SUMMARY

    Install Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) and Microsoft SMTP
    Service
    Configure the SMTP Virtual Server
    Assign an IP Address
    Configure the Default Domain
    Enable Transaction Logging
    Set Relay Restrictions
    Set Up a Smart Host
    Troubleshoot
    REFERENCES
    SUMMARY
    This step-by-step article describes how to set up a Simple Mail Transfer
    Protocol (SMTP) virtual server on a Windows Server 2003-based computer.

    Microsoft SMTP Service uses the Internet-standard SMTP to transport and
    deliver mail messages. Microsoft SMTP Service does not support the use of
    individual mailboxes. The service places incoming messages in a Drop folder
    or forwards them to other SMTP servers (if the message is addressed to a
    remote domain). This feature allows Microsoft SMTP Service to be used as a
    mail receiver for other programs.

    back to the top
    Install Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) and Microsoft SMTP
    Service
    Because Microsoft SMTP Service is a component of Microsoft Internet
    Information Services (IIS), you must install IIS to use Microsoft SMTP
    Service. To install IIS and Microsoft SMTP service, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
    In the Windows Components Wizard, click Internet Information Services (IIS),
    and then click Details.
    Click to select the following check boxes:
    Common Files
    Internet Services Manager (HTML)
    SMTP Service
    World Wide Web Server
    Click to select any other components that you want.
    Click OK two times, click Next, and then click Finish to close the Windows
    Components Wizard.
    back to the top
    Configure the SMTP Virtual Server
    When you install Microsoft SMTP Service, a default SMTP virtual server is
    created to handle basic mail delivery functions. The SMTP virtual server is
    automatically configured with default settings that enable it to accept
    local client computer connections and to process messages. You can either
    accept the default settings or change the SMTP virtual server configuration.
    You can configure the SMTP virtual server to meet your messaging
    requirements. This article describes basic configuration and security
    settings that you may want to consider using.

    back to the top
    Assign an IP Address
    To assign an IP address to your SMTP virtual server, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
    Click the General tab.
    If you want the SMTP virtual server to respond to connection requests for
    all IP addresses that are configured on the computer, click to select (All
    Unassigned) in the IP address box. (This is the default setting.)
    If you want to assign a specific IP address to the SMTP virtual server,
    click the IP address that you want to use in the IP address box.
    If you want to assign additional IP addresses to the virtual server, click
    Advanced, click Add, specify the IP address and the Transmission Control
    Protocol (TCP) port number, and then click OK three times.

    Note The default TCP port is 25.
    Click OK.
    back to the top
    Configure the Default Domain
    SMTP virtual servers must have one local default domain. The default domain
    is used to stamp messages from addresses that do not contain a domain. By
    default, the name that you specify on the Network Identification tab of the
    System tool in Control Panel is used as the default domain name.

    All incoming mail messages that are designated for the default domain are
    placed in the Drop folder. By default, the Drop folder is located in the
    Inetpub\Mailroot folder.

    To change the location of the Drop folder, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Double-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Domains.
    In the right pane, right-click the default domain, and then click
    Properties.
    Click Browse, locate and select a folder that you want to use for your Drop
    folder, and then click OK two times.

    Note You must put the Drop folder in a folder on the local computer where
    Microsoft SMTP Service is installed.
    back to the top
    Enable Transaction Logging
    Log files keep a record of all the messages that are received and sent on
    your computer. To turn on logging, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
    Click the General tab, and then click to select the Enable logging check
    box.
    In the Active log format box, click the log format that you want to record
    information in. The default log format is W3C Extended Log File Format.
    Click Properties.
    Specify the settings that you want to use. You can specify settings to
    include the logging time period and the location and name of the log file.
    Click OK two times.
    back to the top
    Set Relay Restrictions
    By default, all computers are denied relay access. Microsoft SMTP Service
    does not allow computers to relay unwanted mail through the virtual server.
    All computers are denied relay access except those that meet the
    authentication requirements that are specified in the Authentication box on
    the Access tab. If your virtual server is on the Internet, Microsoft
    recommends that you do not grant relay access. If you do, unsolicited mail
    may be propagated. To grant or deny permissions to relay messages through
    the SMTP virtual server, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
    Click the Access tab.
    Under Relay restrictions, click Relay, and then do one of the following:
    Click Only the list below.
    Click All except the list below.
    Click Add.
    Click the settings that you want to use, add the computers, the group of
    computers, or the domain that you want to specify as exceptions to the
    access setting that you selected in step 4, and then click OK three times.
    back to the top
    Set Up a Smart Host
    If you want to designate another SMTP server to handle all outgoing
    messages, you can set up a smart host to perform this task. After you set up
    the smart host, all outgoing messages that are designated for remote domains
    are routed through it. To configure a smart host, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Properties.
    Click the Delivery tab, and then click Advanced.
    In the Smart host box, type either the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or
    the IP address of the smart host server.

    If you type an IP address, enclose the address in brackets (for example,
    [192.168.188.228]). This may improve performance because Microsoft SMTP
    Service does not perform name resolution.
    If you want Microsoft SMTP Service to try to deliver the remote messages
    directly before it forwards them to the smart host, click to select the Try
    to direct delivery before sending to smart host check box. (By default, this
    check box is not selected.)
    Click OK two times.
    back to the top
    Troubleshoot
    Issue: Messages are not sent to the Drop folder. This issue may occur
    because of either of the following conditions:
    The path of the Drop folder is incorrect.

    To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then
    click Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
    Double-click Default SMTP Virtual Server, and then click Domains.
    In the right pane, right-click the default domain, and then click
    Properties.
    In the Drop directory box, verify that the path of the Drop folder is valid.
    Either the Drop folder or the hard disk where the Drop folder is located is
    full.

    To troubleshoot this issue, free hard disk space in either the Drop folder
    or on the hard disk where the Drop folder is located. For additional
    information about how to troubleshoot Microsoft SMTP Service, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    323358 HOW TO: Troubleshoot a Web Server in Windows Server 2003

    For additional information about how to test Microsoft SMTP Service, click
    the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    323350 HOW TO: Test SMTP Services Manually in Windows Server 2003
    back to the top
    REFERENCES
    For additional information about how to set SMTP security options, click the
    following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:
    324285 HOW TO: Set SMTP Security Options in Windows Server 2003
    back to the top
    Technology: kbSBServ2003Pre kbSBServ2003Search kbSBServ2003St kbSBServSearch
    kbWinServ2003Data kbWinServ2003DataSearch kbWinServ2003Ent
    kbWinServ2003EntSearch kbWinServ2003Search kbWinServ2003St

    Send feedback to Microsoft
    © 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), Oct 25, 2004