change your password day

Dave Searles

Arne said:
The post of Roedys that started this thread is off topic.

Nobody's disputing that. But off topic posts are sometimes tolerated,
depending on those "community standards".

Roedy Green

To avoid bothering people with stuff they are not interested in.

But ironically you and Peter spend far more time on threads you claim
not to be interested in.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

I advocate that super programmers who can juggle vastly more complex balls than average guys can, should be banned, by management, from dragging the average crowd into system complexity zones where the whole team will start to drown.
~ Jan V.

Roedy Green

That is not the sole reason. You may have nothing else to do but some
people, believe it or not, have a limited amount of time on their hands,
and wasting a bunch of time junking a bunch of threads (never mind feeling
compelled to be distracted by meta-issues asking that people stop wasting
their time forcing them to junk a bunch a threads) isn't what they want to
spend their time doing.

You CHOOSE which threads to read. For some reason you choose to read
mine even when you claim you are not interested in them. Further you
post and repost in threads I started. I am not forcing you to do that.
That makes no sense. You also have the right to plonk me. Given that
you claim you find my posts highly irritating no matter what the
topic, please plonk me.

Why would you follow all by threads so assiduously? Most likely,
because you find the things that come up in the drift of the
conversation interesting.

The image of the ardent Christian viewing porn for the ostensible
purpose of complaining about it comes to mind.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

I advocate that super programmers who can juggle vastly more complex balls than average guys can, should be banned, by management, from dragging the average crowd into system complexity zones where the whole team will start to drown.
~ Jan V.

Roedy Green

All of your off-topics posts have WAY more
effect globally than fixing StringBuilder would. Moving data between
computers is much more expensive than copying it from one memory location
to another.

A typical post gets moved the various newsservers, and eventually
delivered to and read by perhaps 100 people at most. That is the end
of it.

On the other hand, webservers do almost nothing but string
concatenation. If you improved that, the serving of every page on
every server from now till the end of Java is improved. It is
billions of times bigger an effect.

Besides, StringBuilder replacement is surely perfectly on topic.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

I advocate that super programmers who can juggle vastly more complex balls than average guys can, should be banned, by management, from dragging the average crowd into system complexity zones where the whole team will start to drown.
~ Jan V.

Roedy Green

That is not the sole reason.

I suspect your carping about my posts has nothing at all to do with
how on topic they are. I suspect the problem is our difference in
politics, which usually does not come up directly, but is all over my
website.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

I advocate that super programmers who can juggle vastly more complex balls than average guys can, should be banned, by management, from dragging the average crowd into system complexity zones where the whole team will start to drown.
~ Jan V.

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
When you write three replies to a single comment it might be a sign that
you are getting overly worked up about something and would benefit from
taking some time out. At least, that's what I conclude when I feel the
urge.

I can't speak for Peter Duniho and I post too much off-topic material to
complain much about other people's off-topic threads but I do think it
possible that people /honestly/ object to off-topic discussion
regardless of the political affiliations of the poster.

I think it's a real stretch to accuse Pete of complaining to Roedy because of
political differences. That is an exercise in self-importance. What Pete
says overtly about his motivation is credible and sufficient to explain the
phenomenon without reaching into the paranoia/ego-gratification drawer.

Roedy Green

There is no need to "stimulate discussion".

I disagree. Only comp.lang.java.programmer and comp.lang.java.help
have any traffic to speak of. I have been here since the Java 1.0
days. Traffic is WAY down.

I think there are three main reasons for it:

1. competition from blogs of various sorts. They offer freedom from
spam, moderation and more attractive formatting.

2. the language is more mature. People don't need a newsgroup so
much. There are plenty of books and other materials now. Most of the
people who converted from other languages have already done so.

3. the spirit of the group has become too often like a group of frat
rats hazing the pledges. Guideline enforcement is often used as an
excuse for cruelty, public humiliation and put downs. There is a whiff
of xenophobia, racism and bigotry.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

I advocate that super programmers who can juggle vastly more complex balls than average guys can, should be banned, by management, from dragging the average crowd into system complexity zones where the whole team will start to drown.
~ Jan V.

Arne Vajhøj

Dave said:
Nobody's disputing that. But off topic posts are sometimes tolerated,
depending on those "community standards".

cljp is actually reasonable tolerant. It is not like clc.

But Roedy has used his quote of tolerance.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
But ironically you and Peter spend far more time on threads you claim
not to be interested in.

Some people care enough that they are willing to spend some time
trying to stop your series of off-topic posts to this group.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
I suspect your carping about my posts has nothing at all to do with
how on topic they are. I suspect the problem is our difference in
politics, which usually does not come up directly, but is all over my
website.

Bullshit.

Nobody here cares about your political opinion.

AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IT OUT OF HERE THAT IS !!!!

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
I disagree. Only comp.lang.java.programmer and comp.lang.java.help
have any traffic to speak of. I have been here since the Java 1.0
days. Traffic is WAY down.

So you are posting off topic posts to cljp because cljx traffic is
down.

If that makes any sense to you then your are smoking something
that you should not smoke.

Besides: newsgroups does not need posts - newsgroups need
on-topic posts.
I think there are three main reasons for it:

1. competition from blogs of various sorts. They offer freedom from
spam, moderation and more attractive formatting.

2. the language is more mature. People don't need a newsgroup so
much. There are plenty of books and other materials now. Most of the
people who converted from other languages have already done so.

3. the spirit of the group has become too often like a group of frat
rats hazing the pledges. Guideline enforcement is often used as an
excuse for cruelty, public humiliation and put downs. There is a whiff
of xenophobia, racism and bigotry.

If you prefer blogs, then why not start a blog?

You can post whatever you want on your own blow.

I can almost guarantee you that no one from here will go to
your blog and complain about off-topic posts.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
You CHOOSE which threads to read. For some reason you choose to read
mine even when you claim you are not interested in them. Further you
post and repost in threads I started. I am not forcing you to do that.
That makes no sense. You also have the right to plonk me. Given that
you claim you find my posts highly irritating no matter what the
topic, please plonk me.

Why would you follow all by threads so assiduously? Most likely,
because you find the things that come up in the drift of the
conversation interesting.

Because we care about cljp and want to keep your off-topic crap
out of it.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
A typical post gets moved the various newsservers, and eventually
delivered to and read by perhaps 100 people at most. That is the end
of it.

A lot more than a 100 people read this group.

There are probably a 100 people posting to this group.
On the other hand, webservers do almost nothing but string
concatenation. If you improved that, the serving of every page on
every server from now till the end of Java is improved. It is
billions of times bigger an effect.

Besides, StringBuilder replacement is surely perfectly on topic.

It is.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Mike said:
Its immediate effect is always to lower it. Expecting the cumulative
effect will be to raise it is like expecting to turn a profit in Las
Vegas.

Depends on how bad the off-topic poster is.

Arne

David Segall

Peter Duniho said:
That doesn't stop the threads from appearing. I'd have to plonk everyone
who ever replies to you too.

No. You would just need a good news reader. Forte Agent
<http://www.forteinc.com/> will allow you to plonk Roedy and all the
replies to his posts. I believe that xnews has a similar facility.
There must be some others that will run on a Mac.

David Segall

Arne Vajhøj said:
cljp is actually reasonable tolerant. It is not like clc.

But Roedy has used his quote of tolerance.

Not mine! I have found his Java and Internet glossary invaluable. Most
of his, admittedly, off-topic posts are aimed at improving the site
and I think he is entitled to use the group as he would a group of
Java programming colleagues. If you don't like it should be easy to
tell your news reader to ignore him and any thread he starts.