cheap hosting with simple CMS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 123Jim, Mar 11, 2011.

  1. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    Hi all,
    Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....

    I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
    hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
    has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
    user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.

    Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
    hosting side of the deal.
    To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
    $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..

    I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
    to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
    to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
    that might cause me a headache ..

    I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011

  2. 123Jim wrote:

    > I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

    "Never put all your eggs in one basket."

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011

  3. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi all,
    > Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
    >
    > I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
    > hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
    > has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
    > user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
    >
    > Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
    > hosting side of the deal.
    > To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
    > $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
    >
    > I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
    > to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
    > to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
    > that might cause me a headache ..
    >
    > I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

    Buy your domain name here.
    http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
    Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
    Buy your hosting from here.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
    Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
    to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.

    Pretty easy stuff.

    --
    idle
    I refuse to let common sense cloud my judgment.

    idle, Mar 11, 2011
  4. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi all,
    > Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
    >
    > I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
    > hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
    > has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
    > user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
    >
    > Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration and
    > hosting side of the deal.
    > To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
    > $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
    >
    > I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame forwarding
    > to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend it
    > to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
    > that might cause me a headache ..
    >
    > I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

    Actually, http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

    ;)

    --
    Double parked on the corner of Null and Void.

    idle, Mar 11, 2011
  5. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

    > "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
    >
    > --

    In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
    around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web
    ... The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me some
    confidence they will continue.

    Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
    different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
    that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  6. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "123Jim" <> wrote in message

    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

    >> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
    >>
    >> --

    > In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
    > around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the
    > web .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me
    > some confidence they will continue.
    >
    > Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with
    > a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame
    > forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

    Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
    really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html .. but
    that is not what I get with frame forwarding ..
    I see I have other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' ..
    which one of these would result in my URLs containing the
    domain/webpage.html ?
    Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  7. 123Jim wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

    >> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."

    > In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
    > around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of
    > the web .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side
    > gives me some confidence they will continue.

    Ok then. It's your basket. <g>

    > Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain
    > with a different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil
    > 'frame forwarding' that I seem compelled to endure with
    > 1395domains.com?

    With a proper domain registrar and a proper web hosting service, you
    simply enter the 'nameservers' that the host tells you to use. So your
    first question to your prospective new host should be "what are the
    nameservers I would use at my domain registrar?"

    Do a WHOIS on any popular web site, and see the nameserver names.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011
  8. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "idle" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
    >>
    >> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
    >> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
    >> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
    >> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
    >>
    >> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration
    >> and
    >> hosting side of the deal.
    >> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
    >> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
    >>
    >> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame
    >> forwarding
    >> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend
    >> it
    >> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
    >> that might cause me a headache ..
    >>
    >> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

    > Buy your domain name here.
    > http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
    > Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
    > Buy your hosting from here.
    > http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    > There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
    > Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
    > to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
    >
    > Pretty easy stuff.
    >

    > --

    Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer domains?

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  9. 123Jim wrote:

    > Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
    > really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
    > .. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
    > other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
    > one of these would result in my URLs containing the
    > domain/webpage.html ?

    Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
    other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

    > Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

    Seems so.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011
  10. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:
    >
    >> Checking my settings for my domain I chose frame forwarding but what I
    >> really wanted was the the URL to contain the domain-name/webpage.html
    >> .. but that is not what I get with frame forwarding .. I see I have
    >> other options: A, name, URL frame, URL forward and 'text' .. which
    >> one of these would result in my URLs containing the
    >> domain/webpage.html ?

    > Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
    > other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

    It's a jungle out there :()
    I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
    (recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
    settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my high
    traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by messing with
    this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic .. lol )

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  11. 123Jim

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  12. 123Jim wrote:

    > Maybe I have missed a trick all these years ..

    Ahh, I've now had a look at weebly.com. That place seems to be one of
    those "pseudo-hosts" as I like to call them. If I were you, and if you
    want to actually publish a real web site, I'd run away.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011
  14. 123Jim wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
    >> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

    > I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
    > (recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
    > settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my
    > high traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by
    > messing with this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic ..
    > lol )

    No. NameServers.

    Check this out:
    <http://whois.domaintools.com/weebly.com>

    "Weebly.com is for sale
    The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale."

    Run away faster!

    But, scroll down the page near the bottom, and see "Name Servers". You
    would need to know yours, supplied by your host.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2011
  15. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:14:11 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > "idle" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:35:32 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> Please direct me to a more appropriate group for my question, or ....
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.Their
    >>> hosting is free, their content management system is pretty easy .. and it
    >>> has to be , because I only want to set up a simple web site and train the
    >>> user to maintain it themselves, hence the need for a simple CMS.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, it looks like they make their money on the domain registration
    >>> and
    >>> hosting side of the deal.
    >>> To register/host a domain: 1 Year $39.95, 2 Years $33.95/year, 5 Years
    >>> $29.95/year,10 Years $24.99/year ..
    >>>
    >>> I have another domain out there, but my domain provider use frame
    >>> forwarding
    >>> to my hosting provider , and although it is cheap I would not recommend
    >>> it
    >>> to my user, besides they would be unable to maintain it themselves .. and
    >>> that might cause me a headache ..
    >>>
    >>> I welcome your thoughts on the above idea, advice etc.

    >> Buy your domain name here.
    >> http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
    >> Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
    >> Buy your hosting from here.
    >> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    >> There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
    >> Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
    >> to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
    >>
    >> Pretty easy stuff.
    >>

    >> --

    > Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer domains?

    Simple
    http://support.netfirms.com/domains...ow-do-i-transfer-multiple-domains-to-netfirms

    http://support.netfirms.com/domains...ain-name-i-already-own-to-my-netfirms-account

    idle, Mar 11, 2011
  16. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> Umm, apparently your 'registrar' is not a real registrar? As I said in
    >>> other recent post, look for where you enter "nameserver" info.

    >> I see a setting for DNS server settings: [Select DNS Source: 'Our DNS'
    >> (recommended) or 'Custom DNS'] .. Trouble is I barely look at these
    >> settings for 10 minutes every 2 years. .. I don't want to send my
    >> high traffic website into the depths of the internet black hole by
    >> messing with this setting .. unless it is simple.. (high traffic ..
    >> lol )

    > No. NameServers.
    >
    > Check this out:
    > <http://whois.domaintools.com/weebly.com>
    >
    > "Weebly.com is for sale
    > The owner of the domain you are researching has it listed for sale."
    >
    > Run away faster!
    >
    > But, scroll down the page near the bottom, and see "Name Servers". You
    > would need to know yours, supplied by your host.
    >
    > --

    Thanks .. back to the drawing board I guess .. I should have known it was
    looking to convenient. Trouble is hosting is such a cut throat business ..
    Which hosting companies are 1 -cheap and 2- not regularly for sale ..
    My flaky domain provider has been sold at least twice in 9 years .. with a
    different domain name each time .. it's a problem when I only look for them
    every two years.
    cheers

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  17. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "idle" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:14:11 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> "idle" <> wrote in message

    >>> Buy your domain name here.
    >>> http://www.netfirms.com/domain-names/
    >>> Comes with free privacy, easy dns control, etc.
    >>> Buy your hosting from here.
    >>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    >>> There you can check offers and features offered by lots of companies.
    >>> Make sure you use the sites search feature to check the names you want
    >>> to compare so you don't get tossed by a newbie/kiddie company.
    >>>
    >>> Pretty easy stuff.
    >>>

    >>> --

    >> Thanks . I like the price at netfirms .. how easy is it to transfer
    >> domains?

    > Simple
    > http://support.netfirms.com/domains...ow-do-i-transfer-multiple-domains-to-netfirms
    >
    > http://support.netfirms.com/domains...ain-name-i-already-own-to-my-netfirms-account
    >
    > --

    great, thanks!

    123Jim, Mar 11, 2011
  18. 123Jim

    Jeff Thies Guest

    On 3/11/2011 4:36 PM, 123Jim wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"<> wrote in message
    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking at weebly.com for hosting and domain name registration.

    >> "Never put all your eggs in one basket."
    >>
    >> --

    > In fact that is a reason I am considering weebly.com .. They have been
    > around for enough time for me to trust they are a stable feature of the web
    > .. The fact they 'seem' expensive on the domain hosting side gives me some
    > confidence they will continue.
    >
    > Regarding hosting the website with one company and hosting the domain with a
    > different company .. How do you avoid the awful and evil 'frame forwarding'
    > that I seem compelled to endure with 1395domains.com?

    GoDaddy isn't much. If your domain isn't worth $15 you should reconsider.

    There are plenty of nightmare stories about having someone other than
    yourself control the DNS. Wherever you host make sure you can change the
    DNS at any time and for any reason. This is not necessarily the case
    where a host handles the DNS.

    Just had a client whose site went down when the DNS server went schitzy.

    Jeff Thies, Mar 15, 2011
  19. 123Jim

    anderson87

    Joined:
    May 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    New Jersey
    I have used TuckTail.com for domain registry for many years and love them. Excellent service and great prices, with many advanced options, but easy to use.

    anderson87, May 26, 2012