check Existance of a file on different machine

Ajit

Is there anyway to check for existance of a file on different machine.
i.e. we have a data file (text file) thats stored on some other machine as
its not to be exposed in case the web server is hacked.
and we want to update data from this text file into our database.

I know file object but it works only locally.(i.e. work with files stored on
local drive)

If anyone could help me it will be great.

CT

Would a Web service on the server with the text file not do? The Web service
can then use the File object and return status to the Web service consumer
on your Web server.

Kevin Spencer

The System.IO.File class is NOT designed for mere local machine access to
files. It can access any files on any machine in the local machine's
network, as long as it has permission. It can certainly use UNCs.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
..Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
http://www.takempis.com
Big things are made up
of lots of little things

Santastp

I'm not a king in that, but try to see what you can do with WMI.
I already use WMI and I see that you can do a lot of thing remotely.
But I think it's depends of the version of Windows that you want to ask.

mike

I have seen all threads about this topic, but didn't get the answer.

The reason for the issue is, ASPNET doesn't have any permission to access
network folder. My question is, is there any way to assign permission for
it? or use other account who has permissions to access network folder?

Thanks
Mike