checking that process binds a port, fuser functionality

Zdenek Maxa

Hello,

I need to start a process (using subprocess.Popen()) and wait until the
new process either fails or successfully binds a specified port. The
fuser command seems to be indented exactly for this purpose. Could
anyone please provided a hint to a handy Python library to do this or
would the advice be to parse fuser command output?

This needs to happen on Linux and Python 2.4.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Zdenek

Nobody

I need to start a process (using subprocess.Popen()) and wait until the
new process either fails or successfully binds a specified port. The
fuser command seems to be indented exactly for this purpose. Could
anyone please provided a hint to a handy Python library to do this or
would the advice be to parse fuser command output?

This needs to happen on Linux and Python 2.4.

fuser (when applied to a TCP socket) scans /proc/net/tcp to obtain the
inode number, then scans /proc/[1-9]*/fd/* for a reference to the inode.
This requires sufficient privileges to enumerate the /proc/<pid>/fd
directories (i.e. if you aren't running as root, fuser will ignore any
processes which you don't own).

If you just need to wait until *something* is listening on that port, you
could try connect()ing to it. Alternatively, you can monitor /proc/net/tcp
until the relevant port appears.

If you know which process will be using the port, you can just scan the
/proc/<pid>/fd directory for that process, rather than checking all
processes. You still need to use /proc/net/tcp to obtain the inode number.

Roy Smith

Nobody said:
If you just need to wait until *something* is listening on that port, you
could try connect()ing to it.

This certainly seems like the logical way to me. It's straight-forward,
simple, and portable.

Zdenek Maxa