checkpointing java apps in the "Stabilizer"

Amir Michail

Hi,

I was wondering if you know of any easy and fast ways for
checkpointing java apps.

We would like to add this facility to the "Stabilizer", a system for
quickly stabilizing buggy GUI applications.

Basically, the Stabilizer allows users to help each other avoid bugs
in GUI applications:

http://stabilizer.sf.net
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~stabilizer/tr0432.pdf

To improve the Stabilizer's bug prediction, given an input event we
would like to allow the code to execute but still allow the user to
abort the event later -- and so we need to return to a previous state
in the execution.

I was thinking that the unix fork would be ideal for this. We would
create a child to see what code would execute on an input event. If
the experiment with the child tells us a bug is not likely, then the
parent could then perform the same action.
Unfortunately, it seems we can't use the unix fork in Java apps.

Amir