Chinese only in HTML format?

Luigi Donatello Asero

I tried to send some posts to alt.alt.test by writing Chinese and the Chinese signs were shown only when I used HTML format.
I used Outlook Express.
Is there any way to write in Chinese ( using the traditional or the semplified signs and not the ping yin code) by using Outlook Express without using html format?

Jukka K. Korpela

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I tried to send some posts to alt.alt.test by writing Chinese and the
Chinese signs were shown only when I used HTML format. I used Outlook
Express. Is there any way to write in Chinese ( using the traditional
or the semplified signs and not the ping yin code) by using Outlook
Express without using html format?

This isn't really about HTML - rather, about _avoiding_ HTML! The best
place to ask would be a group that discusses Usenet techniques _or_ a group
that discusses OE (and related software).

Anyway, here's quick info:
Don't use OE. Get a good newsreader, like Mozilla Thunderbird.

Since you probably decided to stick to OE for now, here's the ugly stuff:
Go to Tools / Settings, find settings for outgoing newsgroup messages.
(While you're at it, you might fix the settings for outgoing E-mail as
well.) Select "text only" (or whatever it's called), and go to the settings
for plain text and check that "MIME" is checked and no encoding is
specified (no Quoted Printable, no Base64). Then, when sending messages
that contain special characters, OE will ask you how to send it; select
"Send as Unicode".

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
Is there any way to write in Chinese by using Outlook Express without
using html format?

I can't say anything about Outlook Express, but it's certainly possible to
use chinese characters in plain text e-mail.

Example: 近义è¯

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Toby Inkster quothed:
I can't say anything about Outlook Express, but it's certainly possible to
use chinese characters in plain text e-mail.

Example: 近义è¯

Your Chinese sucks.

Els

Toby said:
I can't say anything about Outlook Express, but it's certainly possible to
use chinese characters in plain text e-mail.

Example: 近义è¯

That didn't do much here. Do I need to change a charset something in
Dialog for that?

Hilarion

I can't say anything about Outlook Express, but it's certainly possible to
Your Chinese sucks.

I do not know chinese, but the chars Toby used looked like chinese to me (in OE
with support for east asian languages installed in Windows).
The ones your newsreader turned them into are crap, so probably your newsreader
does not support / recognize UTF-8 (it did not use the encoding header in your
post for sure).
To read posts which use UTF-8 and chinese chars you have to use newsreader
which knows UTF-8 and have proper fonts installed.

Hilarion

Hilarion

Is there any way to write in Chinese by using Outlook Express without
That didn't do much here.

It did for me. My OE does display those chars properly (I think - I do not
know chinese, but those do look like chinese to me).

Do I need to change a charset something in Dialog for that?

I do not know Dialog. I have support for eastern asian languages installed
in my Windows (and also all conversion tables available in Windows XP Pro,
which are not required if UTF-8 or other Unicode is used). This support
includes proper fonts.

Hilarion

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
That didn't do much here. Do I need to change a charset something in
Dialog for that?

Does the third language in the signature below look Chinese?

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)

Hilarion

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Does the third language in the signature below look Chinese?

You mean the one below?
( 我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我在主 ç‘žå…¸)

If so, then yes - it looks like chinese.

Hilarion

Els

Hilarion said:
You mean the one below?

If so, then yes - it looks like chinese.

Not here. I just changed some settings in Dialog to use UTF-8 as
preferred charset, but it didn't help. Guess I'd have to install the
fonts first :)

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luigi Donatello Asero scraped:
Does the third language in the signature below look Chinese?
( 我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我在主 ç‘žå…¸)

To me, it looks like a bunch of randomly spaced question marks :\

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luigi Donatello Asero scraped:

To me, it looks like a bunch of randomly spaced question marks :\

That happened to me before.
Did you try to search the message at www.google.com ?
http://groups.google.se/group/alt.h...Donatello+Asero&rnum=1&hl=sv#46180ba54ac55f61
Do you use Unicode 8?
Did you install the fonts for Chinese?

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
( 我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我在主 ç‘žå…¸)
(wo shi yi da li ren, dàn shì wo zhù zài ruì dian)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia/temperature-svezia-gennaio-2005.php

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luigi Donatello Asero scraped:

<toby type="inkster">Don't you mean
http://message-id.net/[email protected] ?</toby> :)

Yes, it doesn't seem to look right on that page either.
Do you use Unicode 8?
Yes.

Did you install the fonts for Chinese?

I'm assuming it must be this that is causing the problem for me,
although I am pretty sure that I have seen Chinese characters on this
machine before, but then that might have been *before* I formatted it a
couple of months back ;)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Dylan Parry said:
Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luigi Donatello Asero scraped:

I'm assuming it must be this that is causing the problem for me,
although I am pretty sure that I have seen Chinese characters on this
machine before, but then that might have been *before* I formatted it a
couple of months back ;)

You might try visit www.google.cn
and see if your browser display the Chinese characters.

--
Luigi Donatello (un italiano che vive in Svezia)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
( 我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我在主 ç‘žå…¸)
(wo shi yi da li ren, dàn shì wo zhù zài ruì dian)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, Luigi Donatello Asero scraped:
You might try visit www.google.cn
and see if your browser display the Chinese characters.

Nope, load of gibberish, so I guess I don't have the fonts for it.

Hilarion

Don't you mean
http://message-id.net/[email protected] ?

Yes, it doesn't seem to look right on that page either.

It does not cause this page shows news source, not it's
interpretation. Click link called "View formatted" (or something
like that - depends on translation) or the linked post subject
("Chinese only in HTML format" next to "alt.html") and check there.
You'll still need your browser to support Unicode and Chinese
fonts.

Hilarion

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Hilarion quothed:
I do not know chinese, but the chars Toby used looked like chinese to me (in OE
with support for east asian languages installed in Windows).
The ones your newsreader turned them into are crap, so probably your newsreader
does not support / recognize UTF-8 (it did not use the encoding header in your
post for sure).

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I use Gravity and doubt that UTF-8 support
is activated or implemented. It's just that it's so much fun
aggravating Toby...
To read posts which use UTF-8 and chinese chars you have to use newsreader
which knows UTF-8 and have proper fonts installed.

Well, 'bout the most I'm into Chinese is chop suey at the corner pagoda.
Furthermore, I'm naturally lazy and subscribe to the theory "Don't fix
it if it ain't broke." See my point?

Toby Inkster

Els said:
That didn't do much here. Do I need to change a charset something in
Dialog for that?

Here is a checklist with everything you need to display those characters:

[ ] Operating system with decent Unicode support.
[ ] A font with a good range of characters.
[ ] A half-decent newsreader.

I'm guessing in your case, it's the middle one that you need.

Of course, the chances are that most Chinese people will have their
software configured to correctly display Chinese characters.