cleaning up html code

Discussion in 'HTML' started by edgy, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. edgy

    edgy Guest

    Hi,

    because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
    Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
    (well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea as
    the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the place
    (i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes in a web
    browser).

    Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2> around
    about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also some other
    size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has an option to
    remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and bold/italics
    information that I don't want to lose. Without hand-deleting all this
    business, is there a (text-editing or html) program that has functions like

    delete all occurances of the following "<h2>

    ?

    thanks for any advice.

    edgy, Jul 8, 2006

  2. edgy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
    > Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
    > (well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea as
    > the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the place
    > (i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes in a web
    > browser).
    >
    > Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2> around
    > about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also some other
    > size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has an option to
    > remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and bold/italics
    > information that I don't want to lose. Without hand-deleting all this
    > business, is there a (text-editing or html) program that has functions like
    >
    > delete all occurances of the following "<h2>

    All the miracle tool "search and replace" on just about every text
    editor. Search for "<h2>" replace with "" then search for "</h2>"
    replace with "". Very low-tech...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 8, 2006

  3. edgy

    edgy Guest

    > edgy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> because I've been trying to prepare a long table of information from an
    >> Excel file for the Web, I've used a number of editors to work on the list
    >> (well, Excel, Word, and NVU). I guess, looking back, this was a bad idea
    >> as the code is now an absolute mess - the text sizes are all over the
    >> place (i.e. will look fine in any of the editors but then multiple sizes
    >> in a web browser).
    >>
    >> Specifically, one of the programs seems to have inserted <h2> </h2>
    >> around about half of the entries (lets say about 100). There are also
    >> some other size-related codes inserted that I'd like to remove. NVU has
    >> an option to remove all style info, but there are links, anchors, and
    >> bold/italics information that I don't want to lose. Without
    >> hand-deleting all this business, is there a (text-editing or html)
    >> program that has functions like
    >>
    >> delete all occurances of the following "<h2>
    >>

    > All the miracle tool "search and replace" on just about every text editor.
    > Search for "<h2>" replace with "" then search for "</h2>" replace with "".
    > Very low-tech...
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan