client-side .NET control

Tartha De Tear

Is there such a thing as a purely client-side .NET control akin to
ActiveX controls or Applets? My boss wants to know, so I'm
asking...please don't shoot me.

Thanks.

shiretu

What about building your client component/control in .NET and after
that making a COM wrapper to it. You can now make an ActiveX using this
COM. Its all about wrapping. I'm not 100% sure about this but I've made
something similar: database connection class in .NET --> COM Wrapper
--> use the COM in asp pages (vbscript).

Patrice

Yes but you'll need of course .NET client side (don't know about possible
browser requirements).

Basically this is just a Windows Forms UserControl. The object tag points to
the DLL (very similar to ActiveX except it's .NET based). An EXE file can
also be lauched directly.

shiretu

"Is there such a thing as a purely client-side .NET control ...."

But if the control MUST be in .NET, how do you run it without .NET?

shiretu

One more thing.....

There is a open source implementation of the .NET platform named mono.
Runs on UNIX like OS and in win32 too. In unix you have the possibility
to compile managed code (c# 100%, don't know if other languages are
supported) in a native form. You don't need the platform after that.