Client-side web control/.NET based Java applets possible?

Boris

Is there a way to develop a client-side web control based on the .NET
framework and running in a browser (embedded in a web page)? As far as I
understand ASP.NET web controls are all server-side?

I'm trying to switch from Java to some .NET technology while preserving the
advantages of Java applets. I only found some web pages about Microsoft J#
Browser Controls. However it looks like you can only use them while
migrating from Java but not when creating a brand new client-side web
control. You also seem to be stuck in J#. Is there nothing comparable to
Java applets in .NET?

Boris