Client Side Validation - Framework 1.0 / 1.1

Me2

Hello,

I am having a particular problem, and am unable to understand where the
problem is coming from.

I am developing C# asp.net using the original version of VS and FW 1.0. I
have field validators placed on various fields. When I run the page from
the development box the validators work correctly.

I am xcopying .aspx files and /bin directory files to distribution server.
The distribution server is running 2003, and FW 1.1.

The problem is that the validation does not function, either on the client
side or the server side when the pages are run from the distribution server.

Is this a known problem, or (more likely, I hope) am I missing xcopy files
for the validation to work?

Thanks in advance,

Ralph Page
MBA, CMBA, MCDBA, MCSE, CCNA

S. Justin Gengo

Ralph,

The client side validators use javascripts located in a folder in iis
(aspnet_client).

If like I do you are not placing your web site in the default folder on the
server, but do on the client, then it may be that the appliacation is not
finding these javascripts.

If this is the case the solution would be to create a virtual directory
within your website that points to the aspnet_client in the root.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

Me2

The Application is being run from the web root directory.

I looked at the source from the page and the directive looks correct:
<script language="javascript"
src="/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"></script>

I also checked and the directory and file is there.

I looked at the web log on the distribution server and found this:
"GET /aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js HTTP/1.1" 404
2202

Could this be an access violation? This directory is below the web root. I
can not view the permissions from where I am.

Ralph Page
MBA, CMBA, MCDBA, MCSE, CCNA
"It takes no more time to see the good side of life than to see the bad."
-- Jimmy Buffett
S. Justin Gengo said:
Ralph,

The client side validators use javascripts located in a folder in iis
(aspnet_client).

If like I do you are not placing your web site in the default folder on the
server, but do on the client, then it may be that the appliacation is not
finding these javascripts.

If this is the case the solution would be to create a virtual directory
within your website that points to the aspnet_client in the root.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

S. Justin Gengo

That's very possible.

On our server we have assigned a specific user for the .net framework to run
under. (I'm not positive about the details on doing that. I'm not the
Admin.) That user has Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, and Read access
on the aspnet_client folder.

I hope this helps.

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- --
S. Justin Gengo said:
Ralph,

The client side validators use javascripts located in a folder in iis
(aspnet_client).

If like I do you are not placing your web site in the default folder on the
server, but do on the client, then it may be that the appliacation is not
finding these javascripts.

If this is the case the solution would be to create a virtual directory
within your website that points to the aspnet_client in the root.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer