Codefest Grant Questions

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by James Edward Gray II, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. I have a few basic questions about the Codefest Grants.

    From the announcement:

    The application deadline is January 15, 2005. Decisions will be
    announced by March 1, 2005.

    Is this still expected to be true with the deadline extension? Will
    this announcement be public and will it include any details about the
    expected libraries?

    Then, from the application:

    In the event that the codefest cannot proceed without advance delivery
    of some or all of
    the grant, separate application may be made by awardees to Ruby
    Central, Inc. for advance
    payment. If such advance payment is made, it will be on the condition
    that if, for any
    reason the anticipated expenses are not incurred, the funds advanced
    will be returned in
    their entirety to Ruby Central, Inc.

    Is covering airline tickets just cause for advance payment? If so,
    what's the soonest an applicant could expect to have airfare available,
    if offered a grant?

    Again from the application:

    Grant recipients agree to make all software written under the auspices
    of the grant
    available under the same licensing terms as Ruby itself.

    Does that mean dual GPL/Ruby licensing or can a team choose one of the
    two?

    Finally, one of my own: Can library construction begin before
    announcements are made (publicly, I mean)? For example, would it be
    okay to open a Rubyforge project?

    Thanks.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Hi,

    In message "Re: Codefest Grant Questions"
    on Mon, 10 Jan 2005 08:34:55 +0900, James Edward Gray II <> writes:

    | Grant recipients agree to make all software written under the auspices of the grant
    | available under the same licensing terms as Ruby itself.
    |
    |Does that mean dual GPL/Ruby licensing or can a team choose one of the
    |two?

    "The license terms as Ruby itself" does mean dual licensing. There's
    no separate name for the terms in COPYING.

    COPYING:
    > Ruby is copyrighted free software by Yukihiro Matsumoto <>.
    > You can redistribute it and/or modify it under either the terms of the GPL
    > (see the file GPL), or the conditions below:

    matz.
    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Hi --

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, James Edward Gray II wrote:

    > I have a few basic questions about the Codefest Grants.
    >
    > From the announcement:
    >
    > The application deadline is January 15, 2005. Decisions will be
    > announced by March 1, 2005.
    >
    > Is this still expected to be true with the deadline extension?

    Good question :) I imagine we'll give the judges a little extra time
    since we've extended the deadline.

    > Will this
    > announcement be public and will it include any details about the expected
    > libraries?

    Yes, and yes. We definitely want a bit of publicity for these
    projects and efforts :)

    > Then, from the application:
    >
    > In the event that the codefest cannot proceed without advance
    > delivery of some or all of
    > the grant, separate application may be made by awardees to Ruby
    > Central, Inc. for advance
    > payment. If such advance payment is made, it will be on the condition
    > that if, for any
    > reason the anticipated expenses are not incurred, the funds advanced
    > will be returned in
    > their entirety to Ruby Central, Inc.
    >
    > Is covering airline tickets just cause for advance payment? If so, what's
    > the soonest an applicant could expect to have airfare available, if offered a
    > grant?

    An airline ticket would be a good candidate for advance payment, and
    once agreed upon it could be done quickly. Details would depend on
    the exact circumstances and timeframe, etc.

    > Again from the application:
    >
    > Grant recipients agree to make all software written under the
    > auspices of the grant
    > available under the same licensing terms as Ruby itself.
    >
    > Does that mean dual GPL/Ruby licensing or can a team choose one of the two?

    (See Matz's answer.)

    > Finally, one of my own: Can library construction begin before announcements
    > are made (publicly, I mean)? For example, would it be okay to open a
    > Rubyforge project?

    I don't see why not. The only thing is, if you've already written too
    much of the library, the judges might not see merit in your
    application for codefest support :) But registering a RubyForge
    project would be OK.

    Thanks for your interest --

    David

    --
    David A. Black
    David A. Black, Jan 10, 2005
  4. On Jan 9, 2005, at 7:17 PM, David A. Black wrote:

    >> Is covering airline tickets just cause for advance payment? If so,
    >> what's the soonest an applicant could expect to have airfare
    >> available, if offered a grant?

    > An airline ticket would be a good candidate for advance payment, and
    > once agreed upon it could be done quickly. Details would depend on
    > the exact circumstances and timeframe, etc.

    Another question along these lines. If we put an airline ticket
    expense in our application, should we check current rates for the
    expected meeting time and then just estimate a little higher? Or is
    the goal exact amounts?

    Thanks again.

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Jan 10, 2005