ColdFusion?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by William Fields, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to find out more information about ColdFusion and could not find
    what I'm looking for on Macromedia's website.

    My question has more to do with what ColdFusion is and how web services are
    supported. Specifically, I'd like to know:

    Is Coldfusion nothing more than an IIS extension like ASP.NET?
    Can Coldfusion and ASP.NET coexist on the same webserver?
    If I build a Visual FoxPro webservice, can it be registered on the
    Coldfusion web server?

    If these questions don't make much sense, please bear with me, I'm only
    starting to get into web development and am not the most knowledgeable on
    the topic.

    Any information on ColdFusion coming from a MS developer perspective would
    be very appreciated.

    Thanks.

    --
    William Fields
    MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

    "Beer is proof that God loves us
    and wants us to be happy."

    - Benjamin Franklin
    William Fields, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Yes, Cold Fusion functions a lot like ASP.NET. It's one of ASP.NET's
    primary competitors.
    They can coexist on the same server. I'm sure the most recent version of
    Cold Fusion must support web services.
    The only problem you're likely to run into is if you want to pass data
    between Cold Fusion and ASP.NET applications. They don't share Session or
    Application state, so your data sharing will have to be a bit more manual.
    You can share data via a common database, or you can pass data between the
    two systems using querystrings, posts, hidden fields, cookies, etc.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Apr 2, 2005

  3. William Fields

    Scott M. Guest

    The newest version of ColdFusion is called AllFusion and is compatible with
    ..NET.

    Scott M., Apr 2, 2005
  4. William Fields

    Aaron Guest

    Where can I learn more about AllFusion? I can't seem to find anything on
    google.

    Thanks

    Aaron, Apr 2, 2005
  5. William Fields