College degree or not

Ian Collins

stryfedll said:
Sorry this isn't directly concerning a programming language but I
wanted to reach real programmers. I am in college right now and am not
really interested in investing 3 more years of my life for a Bachelors
degree. I know that I can learn more about computer programming if I
spent the time over the next 3 years reading books and programming at
my own pace rather than an instructors pace, as well as not needing to
take so many electives, and courses unrelated to programming. I would
also save a ton of money and time. The benefits to not finishing
college and just learning myself a overwhelming, and there seems to be
only one problem.

Will I still be competitive in the job market without a degree? Would I
be less likely to succeed in the programming field without a degree,
even if I knew more than someone with a degree?
There isn't much more to add to this thread, but remember employers see
a degree (any numerate/science/engineering degree) as much as an
indicator about you as a person as they do as an indicator about you as
a programmer.

It shows the candidate has the ability and discipline to self organise
and learn as well as possessing the required academic ability. Lack of
a degree isn't a counter indicator, but it muddies the waters and adds
an extra level of complexity to the selection process. You have be able
to offer something special to catch their attention.

flopbucket

stryfedll said:
Will I still be competitive in the job market without a degree? Would I
be less likely to succeed in the programming field without a degree,
even if I knew more than someone with a degree?

Can I please have your thoughts on this, Thank you

Shane

Hi,

I know exactly how you feel, and in my case, I dropped out and started
working. I started playing around programming since I was about 12,
learning BASIC on my old Commdore Vic-20, and then assembly on the
Commodore 64, and C on my Amiga during high school (you can imagine how
popular I was). I attended about 2 years of university when I left to
take a job offer. I have been lucky in having a pretty good carear so
far making good money.

In my experience, some of the best programmers I have ever worked with
either had no degree or had a degree in an unrelated field and they
just had a love of programming and tought themselves through reading,
practicing, on the job, etc. Of course, since I am in the same boat,
maybe I am biased here.

Anyway, would I recommend it? No. I would say get your degree now
while you are young. I recently changed jobs, and even though I have
over 12 years experience on my resume now, there were several
interesting job postings that specifically require a college degree. I
never bothered applying to these since I didn't meet the minimum
requirements in that area, and I find I always have to explain why I
don't have a degree when I speak to head hunters and during interviews.
Certainly some doors closed right there, regardless of my technical
abilities.

I have been able to find good jobs however, but it surely would have
been easier to get into some companies with a degree. At the very
least, you have some people in HR and management who assume with no
degree you couldn't possibly program very good (if you want to work for
such people is a different story).

The times I am hiring people, I don't personally care if they have a
degree or not. I want talented developers. But having a degree can
only open more doors for you in the future.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Victor Bazarov

Daniel said:
Victor Bazarov said:
Daniel T. wrote:
[..] The question though is whether the cost of going to university
(both in time and money) is worth the reward. That's what the OP
wants to know.

If the goal is to become a good programmer, the answer is no. If
the goal is to get a good programming job, then answer is yes.

That's a strange way of looking at things, implying that those two
things are totally orthogonal or mutually exclusive.

Not totally, but largely. I've seen plenty of poor programers and
designers who none-the-less got decent jobs simply because they had a
degree.

That makes no sense by itself. Did they get it winning over a good
programmer without a degree or another poor programmer/designer without
a degree? What company was it? Is it still in business? Was it at
the time driven by a government-mandated affirmative action of some
kind? And so on. Simply put: an instance of a poor programmer getting
hired because of a degree is in no way a proof that having a degree is
more important when it comes to being hired.
Yes, but in my opinion, someone who can't learn it on their own isn't
as valuable despite the "substantial gain".

This is also nonsense. NOBODY learns "on their own". Otherwise, we
all would be crawling and moaning instead of driving cars and talking.

The question is mostly what amount of assistance one requires at each
point in their development. When I learned to ride a bicycle, I used
a set of training wheels, and when I learned to ride a motorcycle, I
didn't. When I learned to walk, I had to have both my hands held, and
when I learned to ballroom-dance, I held somebody else (sometimes even
from falling down).

Development of learning skills is also a learning process which requires
help at first (just like everything else) and feedback all the way.
Some folks become self-sufficient in learning earlier, but it can take
them longer to reach certain level of self-sufficiency. Others need
more guidance through their studies longer, but at the end they often
gain higher levels of self-sufficiency simply because they experience
more efficient (and sometimes simply longer) pull up the slope.

Besides, all generalisations are wrong.

Daniel T.

Victor Bazarov said:
Daniel said:
Victor Bazarov said:
Daniel T. wrote:

[..] The question though is whether the cost of going to
university (both in time and money) is worth the reward. That's
what the OP wants to know.

If the goal is to become a good programmer, the answer is no. If
the goal is to get a good programming job, then answer is yes.

That's a strange way of looking at things, implying that those two
things are totally orthogonal or mutually exclusive.

Not totally, but largely. I've seen plenty of poor programers and
designers who none-the-less got decent jobs simply because they had
a degree.

That makes no sense by itself.

Simply put: an instance of a poor programmer getting hired because
of a degree is in no way a proof that having a degree is more
important when it comes to being hired.

Look, once we take into account that HR generally gets hundreds of
applicants per position, we can see that most of these applicants won't
even make it to the interview/testing stage, so actual skill at
programming isn't even an issue. Thus, programming skill and ability to
get the job have less to do with each-other, than one's "resume
hot-spots" (like a college degree.)

Daniel T.

Hmm. The answer to both is maybe. IMO there is too many
variables involved for such black and whiteness.

The question is, what does it take to get a job in today's market? When
there are hundreds of resumes per opening, the first most important
factor is who you know, second runner up are "resume hot spots" (like
degrees.) Skill doesn't comes in handy until the interview/testing stage.

Now, what does it take to be a good programmer? There are mentors to be
had all over the 'net, tons of open source projects to work on and
study, and thousands of books available via your local library.

Note, being good runs a distant third on the list for what it takes to
get a job, and a college degree isn't even on the list of what it takes
to be good at programming.

Victor Bazarov

Daniel said:
Victor Bazarov said:
Daniel said:
Daniel T. wrote:

[...]

For some reason we switched to arguing the point that having a degree
is better for being hired than not having one. Look at the top. You
started with "the cost is worth the reward" argument. I insist that
getting a degree is the single most important action one can take on
the way to *becoming a good programmer*. You, for whatever reason,
think that "the reward" of becoming a good programmer it's not worth
the cost of obtaining a degree. Too bad. I can only imagine that
your experience (or the experience of those with whom you discussed
this topic before) either was negative or was not prominent enough to
leave a lasting impression (or it was shadowed by other impressions).

Here is what not "totally orthogonal or mutually exclusive" means to
me. Since IMNSHO going to a college and obtaining an advanced (by
some measures) degree is just as important in becoming a good whatever
as getting one's career started, you cannot simply separate one from
the other. If one obtains a degree, one will become a good programmer
sooner than if one doesn't (with all nods towards "everybody learns
and develops differently" argument). If one does become a good (use
the term "better" if it's easier to understand) programmer, one has
more chance of getting hired than one with a degree but without
being a good programmer. Having a degree by itself doesn't really
do much, one still needs to work on becoming a good programmer. I
am convinced that no matter how good one is (and can become a good
programmer without outside help (although see my other argument about
"outside help")), the same person would benefit greatly by going to
school, and would become an even better programmer and get himself
(herself) an even greater chance at a good career. That's why it
is incorrect to put "if the goal is learning" on one side and "if
the goal is getting a job" on the _opposite_ side.

The only time I would even consider discussing those things as
opposites is when a career already exists and is not of professional
programming type, and learning to program is viewed as an improvement
in it. At that time going to college might be too much trouble since
in many cases it would mean interruption in the career, which is
never good. But we are not talking about it here, are we?

Victor Bazarov

Daniel said:
[..]
Now, what does it take to be a good programmer? There are mentors to
be had all over the 'net, tons of open source projects to work on and
study, and thousands of books available via your local library.

Are you self-taught? Are you good? Well, you don't have to answer,
but take somebody whom you know and just try to imagine: is that person
really a typical case or is he/she an exception? Then, hopefully, you
will see how keeping this position about "mentors to be had" or "open
source projects to work on" is either an illusion or a delusion.

BobR

stryfedll wrote in message
Will I still be competitive in the job market without a degree? Would I
be less likely to succeed in the programming field without a degree,
even if I knew more than someone with a degree?

Can I please have your thoughts on this, Thank you
Shane

If you are in the USA, your best bet is to drop out of school and join a gang
because crime *does* pay (just look at our congress!!).

In other famous words, "STAY in school" (as long as you can).
[ I often wish I had. Learning on your own is slow, and you get no paper to
prove it (yeah, I know, but I can't afford to buy a diploma on the net!!
<G>).]

Oh, and just say NO to politicians!!!

That's my 2 pico-cents worth...

Greg Comeau

The question is, what does it take to get a job in today's market? When
there are hundreds of resumes per opening, the first most important
factor is who you know, second runner up are "resume hot spots" (like
degrees.) Skill doesn't comes in handy until the interview/testing stage.

I know that many people look at it this way. Myself, I've never chosen
to get myself into that kind of situation.
Now, what does it take to be a good programmer? There are mentors to be
had all over the 'net, tons of open source projects to work on and
study, and thousands of books available via your local library.

Sure, and that's just one aspect.
Note, being good runs a distant third on the list for what it takes to
get a job,

Depends upon who is doing the hiring.
and a college degree isn't even on the list of what it takes
to be good at programming.

I'm not sure what this mean, so I'll rest on the above :)

Phlip

BobR said:
If you are in the USA, your best bet is to drop out of school and join a
gang
because crime *does* pay (just look at our congress!!).

Uh, I thought Congress consisted of white-collar, graduate criminals.
("We're not a gang we're a club!" Google "Skull & Bones", etc...)

arnuld

i did not get it. you want to say that you have "criminals' (murderers,
rapists) as ministers in your US senate/parliament (just like we have
in India).
Uh, I thought Congress consisted of white-collar, graduate criminals.
("We're not a gang we're a club!" Google "Skull & Bones", etc...)

yes i did & found that "George Bush" & his father "George Bush" were
members of "Skull & Bones" & it is a secret society at Yale University
& society's members are raised to high-power positions. that does not
say that "Skull & Bones" is a society of criminals, rapists &
murderers.

-- arnuld
http://arnuld.blogspot.com

BobR

Phlip wrote in message said:
Uh, I thought Congress consisted of white-collar, graduate criminals.
("We're not a gang we're a club!" Google "Skull & Bones", etc...)

"gang", "club"? It's the DemoPublican corporation, whose arch-Robin hood
mission statement includes "make the poor pay for the rich..."......

OOoohh Crap!!! Off-topic again. Where the hell did I hide that flame-suit?!?

Uhhh...
class DemoPublican{
void HangingChad();
void SmokeScreen();
void CoverUps();
void PageSex();
void Corruption(){ CoverUps();}
public:
void MyFellowAmericans();
void Promises( int &count ){ count = (NULL & void); };
void iDidNotHaveSexWith();
protected:
void Wages(int &LastYear){ LastYear *= LastYear;};
};

..... still lookin' fer that dang flame-suit!!

Phlip

BobR said:
OOoohh Crap!!! Off-topic again. Where the hell did I hide that
flame-suit?!?

Off topic?
Uhhh...
class DemoPublican{
void HangingChad();
void SmokeScreen();
void CoverUps();
void PageSex();

Well, at least we are all on the same page here...

Ian Collins

Daniel said:
The question is, what does it take to get a job in today's market? When
there are hundreds of resumes per opening

Hundreds? Last time I was recruiting, I had a hell of a time finding one.

Thomas Matthews

stryfedll said:
[...]

You could study all the coursework yourself, then take a proficiency
test. If you pass the test, you earn your degree.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Greg Comeau

You could study all the coursework yourself, then take a proficiency
test. If you pass the test, you earn your degree.

I'm curious about whether you are saying this is an actual thing.

Christopher Benson-Manica

I'm curious about whether you are saying this is an actual thing.

There are some online universities that seem to offer exactly that, so
that someone fairly knowledgeable could walk in and out with a degree
in a week or two. I really don't think that's preferable to either
going to a real school for a real degree or getting real
certifications.

Default User

Christopher said:
There are some online universities that seem to offer exactly that, so
that someone fairly knowledgeable could walk in and out with a degree
in a week or two. I really don't think that's preferable to either
going to a real school for a real degree or getting real
certifications.

I don't know of any. There are non-accredited "universities" that will
give you degrees for "life experience", but you're just buying a piece
of paper.

Actualy online universities require you to go through the classwork,
but doing it remotely.

Brian