College degree or not

Steve Pope

Daniel T. said:
The question is, what does it take to get a job in today's
market? When there are hundreds of resumes per opening, the
first most important factor is who you know, second runner up
are "resume hot spots" (like degrees.) Skill doesn't comes in
handy until the interview/testing stage.

The good news is that there are not hundreds of resumes per
opening in today job market. The market is reasonably healthy
right now.

But you're right; during (one of) the recession(s) we'd place
job ads in the San Jose Mercury News and get literally hundreds
of resumes per opening. Those without college degrees from
known good colleges/universities in the field were ditched.
Those who changed schools or majors or who were not on a steady
career path were ditched. Those who had worked with a group we
were familiar with (and could therefore obtain references that
meant anything to us) were the ones selected for interview.

Steve

Phlip

Steve said:
But you're right; during (one of) the recession(s) we'd place
job ads in the San Jose Mercury News and get literally hundreds
of resumes per opening. Those without college degrees from
known good colleges/universities in the field were ditched.
Those who changed schools or majors or who were not on a steady
career path were ditched. Those who had worked with a group we
were familiar with (and could therefore obtain references that
meant anything to us) were the ones selected for interview.

Translation: I want anyone else (a school, another team) to tell me what I
can't figure out for myself, if someone's any good.

Greg Comeau

There are some online universities that seem to offer exactly that, so
that someone fairly knowledgeable could walk in and out with a degree
in a week or two. I really don't think that's preferable to either
going to a real school for a real degree or getting real
certifications.

So it's like a college GED?

Steve Pope

Phlip said:
Steve Pope wrote:
Translation: I want anyone else (a school, another team) to tell
me what I can't figure out for myself, if someone's any good.

I take exception to your exact wording, but I'll cotton to some
of the underlying thinking. If I can get a reference on an applicant
from someone I *already know*, that counts more than ten random