  1. I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
    attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

    Thanks Klaus
    Klaus Wertler, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Klaus Wertler wrote:
    > I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
    > attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>.
    "Cells that span several rows or columns
    Cells may span several rows or columns. The number of rows or columns
    spanned by a cell is set by the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
    TH and TD elements."

    Example from that page:

    <TABLE border="1">
    <CAPTION>Cups of coffee consumed by each senator</CAPTION>
    <TR><TH>Name<TH>Cups<TH>Type of Coffee<TH>Sugar?
    <TR><TD>T. Sexton<TD>10<TD>Espresso<TD>No
    <TR><TD>J. Dinnen<TD>5<TD>Decaf<TD>Yes
    <TR><TD>A. Soria<TD colspan="3"><em>Not available</em>
    </TABLE>
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Klaus Wertler

    Sid Ismail Guest

    Sid Ismail, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

    > Klaus Wertler wrote:
    >> I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
    >> attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>.
    > "Cells that span several rows or columns
    > Cells may span several rows or columns. The number of rows or columns
    > spanned by a cell is set by the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
    > TH and TD elements."

    However, reading further:
    "Defining overlapping cells is an error. User agents may vary in how they
    handle this error (e.g., rendering may vary)."

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Klaus Wertler

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Klaus Wertler

    Sid Ismail Guest

    Sid Ismail, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Klaus Wertler

    Isofarro Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:12:22 +0000, Isofarro
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : Sid Ismail wrote:
    > :
    > : > http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/web/html-start.html
    > :
    > : Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to
    > : the new page over on plus.net.
    >

    > Thanks! Will fix my links.

    Cool. Thanks. Then I can snaffle your post and stick it straight into the
    alt.html FAQ ;-)

    --
    Iso.
    Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010
    Isofarro, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Isofarro wrote:

    > Sid Ismail wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:12:22 +0000, Isofarro
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>: Sid Ismail wrote:
    >>:
    >>: > http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk/web/html-start.html
    >>:
    >>: Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to
    >>: the new page over on plus.net.
    >>
    >> Thanks! Will fix my links.

    > Cool. Thanks. Then I can snaffle your post and stick it straight into the
    > alt.html FAQ ;-)

    Furthermore, Mark Tranchant has indicated to me that the new page URL will
    change shortly, as he's considering moving to PHP.

    Safe URL is:

    http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 27, 2003
  9. Klaus Wertler

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:16:10 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> wrote:

    : Furthermore, Mark Tranchant has indicated to me that the new page URL will
    : change shortly, as he's considering moving to PHP.
    :
    : Safe URL is:
    :
    : http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start