Commonly used modules

Jon

Hi,

I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement something
like that.

Jon.

Tad McClellan

Jon said:
I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without).

LWP rocks!

I have many agents/scrapers that bounce around the web and
collect "interesting" stuff for me.

Steffen Müller

Jon said:
Hi,

I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement
something like that.

Hi,

have a look at cpanratings.perl.org for a few popular ones.

Steffen

Ted Zlatanov

I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general
day-to-day perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I
make lots of use of the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to
ever implement something like that.

Parse::RecDescent
AppConfig
Class::DBI
Proc::processTable
MIME::Lite
Digest::MD5

Ted

Matt Garrish

Jon said:
I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement something
like that.

I guess you missed the recent discussion. The CPAN modules are for the
losers who like stable code... ; )

Matt

Kevin Michael Vail

Jon <[email protected]> said:
I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement something
like that.

The one I seem to use the most, for some reason, is Tie::IxHash. I
think it should be part of the core distribution.

Andrew Savige

Jon said:
Hi,

I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement something
like that.

You might like to take a look at the phalanx project list:

http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/distros.html

/-\

Jonathan Stowe

Jon said:
Hi,

I'm curious to know what CPAN modules people use in their general day-to-day
perl scripting (or can't live without). For example I make lots of use of
the Date::Manip module and would hate to have to ever implement something
like that.

I found a script that I made in response to a similar question four years
ago which counted the most frequently used modules in example code and the
output (as it stood then, I get my news differently now so I can't re-run it):

CGI 65
Net::FTP 55
File::Find 53
Win32::OLE 49
Date::parse 49
LWP::UserAgent 40
IO::Socket 36
Date::Manip 32
Benchmark 29
Math::BigInt 28
HTML::parser 24
DBI 20
DBD::Oracle 17
CGI::Carp 17
Time::JulianDay 16
HTTP::Request 16
Net::SMTP 16
IO::File 15
URI::Escape 14
Socket 14

I can't find the original message on Google.

For those interested the code was:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $dirname = "/var/spool/news/comp/lang/perl/misc/";

opendir(DIR,$dirname) || die "No diretory";

my @files = map { $dirname . $_ ; } grep !/^\./, readdir(DIR);

my %modules;

FILES:
foreach(@files)