Communication between client and server

Guy Cohen

Hi all.

I develop a website that has an option to update hardware (via usb)

What is the best technology/method to communicate between the client and
server and still be safe.
The communication process includes asking the server several questions and
providing answers to it as well.

TIA
Guy

John Timney \(MVP\)

It will be extremely tricky to have a web page update an attached device on
the client. Your easiest aproach would probably be to ask the client to
download an exe that was capable of communicating with the server. The net
classes in .net are very easy to work with from within an executable and
talking to a server is a few lines of code.

--
Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

Guy Cohen

Dear John
Lets assume I will do so - using TCPIP?
Which port should I use? will not it be triky to ask the firewalls of 10000
clients to allow this port?
TIA
Guy

John Timney \(MVP\)

Well, I would think about using a client that uses the default http(s) ports
80 or 443, these ports would likely already be open on every firewall.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com

John Timney \(MVP\)

..........actually, you shoud also look up the concept of "remoting", as its
ideally suited to clients wanting to work with remote web servers and
exposed service layers.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE: