Comparator- something wrong

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by sridar, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. sridar

    sridar

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    51
    Comparator- More LUTs,why?

    Hi everyone,

    I am using the following code for counter. as for me, it should occupy only 32 LUTs for inferring integer counter and the output should be mapped to routing channels. i don't know why it infers 64 LUTs. can any of you explain me.

    Entity Comparator_less is

    Port ( Data1,Data2 : in Integer;
    d : out Integer;

    End Comparator_less;

    Architecture Behavioral of Comparator_less is

    Begin

    d <= Data1 when Data1 < Data2 else Data2;

    End Behavioral;

    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
    sridar, Oct 24, 2008

  2. sridar

    jeppe

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2008
    Messages:
    348
    Location:
    Denmark
    Hi
    This example based @ a 2x4 bit data structure in order to simplify.
    Please note that 3 LUTs used for the compare and 4 LUTs used for multiplexers.

    No wonder this will take 64 LUTs in your example - hope this usefull
    Your welcome
    Jeppe

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]