compile for ARM

Rafael Marin Perez

Hello

I'm Rafael Marin, and work as reseacher in University of Murcia (Spain).

I want to install and compile modules of python2.4 in a ARMv5b
architecture.

Any idea?

Thank for your time.
Regards, Rafa.

Diez B. Roggisch

Rafael said:
Hello

I'm Rafael Marin, and work as reseacher in University of Murcia (Spain).

I want to install and compile modules of python2.4 in a ARMv5b
architecture.

Any idea?

You might consider looking at the gumstix-project. They feature a
linux-distro including python that is used by the gumstix running a
XScale255-controller. That machine is ARM-based- so you might get a
clue on how to cross-compile for that architecture by looking at the
gumstix-stuff.

Diez

Paul McGuire

You might consider looking at the gumstix-project. They feature a
linux-distro including python that is used by the gumstix running a
XScale255-controller. That machine is ARM-based- so you might get a
clue on how to cross-compile for that architecture by looking at the
gumstix-stuff.

Diez

The gumstix buildroot requires a Linux platform - I was able to build
Python for gumstix using a Debian environment. The gumstix mailing
list and wiki were very helpful.

-- Paul

Paul Boddie

The gumstix buildroot requires a Linux platform - I was able to build
Python for gumstix using a Debian environment. The gumstix mailing
list and wiki were very helpful.

The inquirer might also consider crosstool, which is good at building
cross-compilers for GNU/Linux targeting "Embedded Linux":

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

As for building Python itself, searching the Python bug tracker for
"cross-compile" might provide some patches and advice:

http://bugs.python.org/

Also try looking at the python.org Wiki for information, starting
here:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EmbeddedPython

Paul

Nick Craig-Wood

Paul Boddie said:
The inquirer might also consider crosstool, which is good at building
cross-compilers for GNU/Linux targeting "Embedded Linux":

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/

As for building Python itself, searching the Python bug tracker for
"cross-compile" might provide some patches and advice:

You could also do the build using qemu which can emulate an ARM
system.

Debian do a complete ARM userspace, so you can install that under qemu
and do native builds.

Cross compilers work well though - we build our app which has python
embedded for ARM using a cross compiler running under debian.

Guest

Rafael Marin Perez said:
Hello

I'm Rafael Marin, and work as reseacher in University of Murcia (Spain).

I want to install and compile modules of python2.4 in a ARMv5b
architecture.

Any idea?

Use OpenEmbedded [http://openembedded.org], I've already done everything
that's necessary to get a fine-grained packaged Python distribution from there.

By the power of OE, I'm using Python on my Linksys NSLU2, my Neo1973 mobile
phone, my Zaurus, my iPAQ, etc. :)

Cheers,

Mickey.