  1. Hi,
    Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
    C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Chris Uppal

    Chris Uppal Guest

    moopT wrote:

    > Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
    > C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!

    I don't know of any for Eiffel or C/C++. If you are working with C++ and Java,
    then Jace may interest you (I haven't used it myself, but it looks solid).
    It doesn't run C++ on the JVM, but it's a very thorough JNI-based integration
    of the two environments.

    Mission software used to have a serious Smtalltalk implementation at:
    but that has been in abeyance for a while. I don't know if more action is
    expected from them or not. There is a very small, rather fun, toy[*]
    implementation at:
    "Bistro" is very, very, Smalltalk-like in many ways and runs on the JVM.

    There are several Lisp or Scheme implementations that run on the JVM. If you
    start from GNU's Kawa then that'll probably have links to other

    There are several (or even lots) of languages which have been designed from the
    ground up to run on the JVM (Java for one ;-). The list is too long to
    remember, but I don't think I've mentioned Scala before in this group, so I
    have now.

    More information from IBM:
    (URL may wrap, and you'll have to hit the <Submit> button to start the search)

    Lastly, while chasing links for this, I found this article
    which is the intro to someone's attempt to compare several languages that run
    on the JVM. It's an interesting read even if you aren't particularly exited by
    running non-Java languages.

    -- chris

    ([*] the word "toy" intended as a positive statement not as a criticism -- the
    implementation is for interest and enternainment.)
    Chris Uppal, Mar 1, 2006