  1. Hi,
    Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
    C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!

    =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=, Mar 1, 2006

  2. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=

    Chris Uppal Guest

    moopT wrote:

    > Are there any compilers for building programs in Eiffel, Smalltalk or
    > C/C++ into JVM? I am curious about that. Thx!

    I don't know of any for Eiffel or C/C++. If you are working with C++ and Java,
    then Jace may interest you (I haven't used it myself, but it looks solid).
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jace
    It doesn't run C++ on the JVM, but it's a very thorough JNI-based integration
    of the two environments.

    Mission software used to have a serious Smtalltalk implementation at:
    http://www.missionsoft.com/stjvm.htm
    but that has been in abeyance for a while. I don't know if more action is
    expected from them or not. There is a very small, rather fun, toy[*]
    implementation at:
    http://budd.eecs.oregonstate.edu/~budd/SmallWorld/
    "Bistro" is very, very, Smalltalk-like in many ways and runs on the JVM.
    http://bistro.sourceforge.net/

    There are several Lisp or Scheme implementations that run on the JVM. If you
    start from GNU's Kawa then that'll probably have links to other
    implementations.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/

    There are several (or even lots) of languages which have been designed from the
    ground up to run on the JVM (Java for one ;-). The list is too long to
    remember, but I don't think I've mentioned Scala before in this group, so I
    have now.
    http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html

    More information from IBM:
    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/views/java/articles.jsp?search_by=alt.lang.jre:
    (URL may wrap, and you'll have to hit the <Submit> button to start the search)

    Lastly, while chasing links for this, I found this article
    http://www.cabochon.com/~stevey/sokoban/docs/intro.html
    which is the intro to someone's attempt to compare several languages that run
    on the JVM. It's an interesting read even if you aren't particularly exited by
    running non-Java languages.

    -- chris

    ([*] the word "toy" intended as a positive statement not as a criticism -- the
    implementation is for interest and enternainment.)

    Chris Uppal, Mar 1, 2006