compiling asp.net code as in vb6

Arejan

hi
i am a beginner in asp.net , but have experience in vb6

my q is can asp.net source code be compiled and make an exe as done
in vb6.
so that users cannot manipulate the source.

my developing scenario is that which have a lan network ,but later on
may be connected to internet....(which is optional)

the users can access iis and view all the pages (i didnt go deep into
network security and somebody else do the network admin.)

what about writing classes and making dlls....
couldnt do much research in this area.
a straight forward answer will be much appreciated
and hope i havent landed in the wrong group.
thank you

Guest

hi
i am a beginner in asp.net , but have experience in vb6

my q is can asp.net source code be compiled and make an exe as done
in vb6.
so that users cannot manipulate the source.

my developing scenario is that which have a lan network ,but later on
may be connected to internet....(which is optional)

the users can access iis and view all the pages (i didnt go deep into
network security and somebody else do the network admin.)

what about writing classes and making dlls....
couldnt do much research in this area.
a straight forward answer will be much appreciated
and hope i havent landed in the wrong group.
thank you

Use code-behind http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=code-behind+asp.net

bruce barker

code behind is not required. asp.net can reference .net dlls (or library
projects) for components.

in a asp.net web site you can put class files in the app_code folder.

with the deployment project or aspnet_compiler if not using vs2005, you
can precompile the site to dll's. the aspx pages will exits but be
empty. this step creates a new site dir and subfolders, that just xcopy
to the server.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Steve Caliendo

asp.net is compiled and does not get served to the client - You need to
think outside of the vb6 (compiled application) box.

asp.net is used specifically for web applications - you would not compile
and distribute an asp.net project. Rather, you would develop an asp.net
application, and it would run in IIS and serve web pages to the clients.
Your code is never served - just the result of what your code produces is.
I know it's confusing when you first transition into writing applications
for the web, but once you learn it it opens you up to having a website that
anyone with a web browser can view, rather than a stand-alone application
that needs to be downloaded and installed on each client computer. Hope
this helps.

Guest

code behind is not required. asp.net can reference .net dlls (or library
projects) for components.

in a asp.net web site you can put class files in the app_code folder.

with the deployment project or aspnet_compiler if not using vs2005, you
can precompile the site to dll's. the aspx pages will exits but be
empty. this step creates a new site dir and subfolders, that just xcopy
to the server.

It's just another approach and as far as I remember it doesn't work
with user controls.