    a straight forward answer will be much appreciated
    and hope i havent landed in the wrong group.
    thank you
    Arejan, Jun 28, 2007

    Use code-behind http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=code-behind asp.net
    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 28, 2007

  3. Arejan

    bruce barker Guest

    code behind is not required. asp.net can reference .net dlls (or library
    projects) for components.

    in a asp.net web site you can put class files in the app_code folder.

    with the deployment project or aspnet_compiler if not using vs2005, you
    can precompile the site to dll's. the aspx pages will exits but be
    empty. this step creates a new site dir and subfolders, that just xcopy
    to the server.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 28, 2007
  4. asp.net is compiled and does not get served to the client - You need to
    think outside of the vb6 (compiled application) box.

    asp.net is used specifically for web applications - you would not compile
    and distribute an asp.net project. Rather, you would develop an asp.net
    application, and it would run in IIS and serve web pages to the clients.
    Your code is never served - just the result of what your code produces is.
    I know it's confusing when you first transition into writing applications
    for the web, but once you learn it it opens you up to having a website that
    anyone with a web browser can view, rather than a stand-alone application
    that needs to be downloaded and installed on each client computer. Hope
    this helps.

    Steve Caliendo, Jun 28, 2007
  5. On Jun 28, 5:31 pm, bruce barker <> wrote:
    > code behind is not required. asp.net can reference .net dlls (or library
    > projects) for components.
    >
    > in a asp.net web site you can put class files in the app_code folder.
    >
    > with the deployment project or aspnet_compiler if not using vs2005, you
    > can precompile the site to dll's. the aspx pages will exits but be
    > empty. this step creates a new site dir and subfolders, that just xcopy
    > to the server.

    It's just another approach and as far as I remember it doesn't work
    with user controls.
    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 28, 2007