Compiling GSL with MinGW - undefined reference

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by rhzehr, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. rhzehr

    rhzehr Guest

    Hi,

    I have been having an insane amount of trouble trying to compile a GNU
    Scientific Library example with MinGW on WinXP. I have been able to
    compile it fine on my linux box and on my windows machine with cygwin.
    However, when I try to compile it with MinGW I keep getting this error:

    undefined reference to 'gsl_sf_bessel_J0'

    I have copied the GSL library files and header files from my cygwin
    folders to the MinGW folders.

    I eventually want to compile a dll for use with excel that solves
    special functions like bessel and lambert.

    Thank you,

    Rob

    rhzehr, Apr 25, 2005

  2. rhzehr

    Tim Prince Guest

    Tim Prince, Apr 25, 2005

  3. rhzehr

    Tim Prince Guest

    "rhzehr" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been having an insane amount of trouble trying to compile a GNU
    > Scientific Library example with MinGW on WinXP. I have been able to
    > compile it fine on my linux box and on my windows machine with cygwin.
    > However, when I try to compile it with MinGW I keep getting this error:
    >
    > undefined reference to 'gsl_sf_bessel_J0'

    So you want the C standard, and the Microsoft libraries, amended on the spot
    so you don't have to try Google to learn how?

    Tim Prince, Apr 25, 2005
  4. rhzehr

    Michael Mair Guest

    rhzehr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have been having an insane amount of trouble trying to compile a GNU
    > Scientific Library example with MinGW on WinXP. I have been able to
    > compile it fine on my linux box and on my windows machine with cygwin.
    > However, when I try to compile it with MinGW I keep getting this error:
    >
    > undefined reference to 'gsl_sf_bessel_J0'
    >
    > I have copied the GSL library files and header files from my cygwin
    > folders to the MinGW folders.
    >
    > I eventually want to compile a dll for use with excel that solves
    > special functions like bessel and lambert.

    Specific compiler-OS-library combinations are off-topic round here.
    Try the GSL mailing list
    (http://mail.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/help-gsl/) or some forum for
    MinGW/gcc.

    Try to find out more about the nature of your problem, i.e.
    did you link against the GSL, did the linker find it at the
    specified location, does this GSL contain gsl_sf_bessel_JO,
    maybe rebuild the library.
    And use google.

    Cheers
    Michael

    Michael Mair, Apr 25, 2005
  5. On 24 Apr 2005 20:16:52 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "rhzehr"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have been having an insane amount of trouble trying to compile a GNU
    >Scientific Library example with MinGW on WinXP. I have been able to
    >compile it fine on my linux box and on my windows machine with cygwin.
    >However, when I try to compile it with MinGW I keep getting this error:
    >
    >undefined reference to 'gsl_sf_bessel_J0'

    are you sure this isn't a link error? See FAQ entry 13.25

    >I have copied the GSL library files and header files from my cygwin
    >folders to the MinGW folders.

    and did you link against the library? Normally you need to explicitly
    do this. Ask in a MingW related group to find out how to do it.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Apr 25, 2005