    I searched in python.org and in sources but it is not clear at all for me.

    Can python run with a posix C compiler and minix or something like that ?

    Thanks

    RosalieM, Jun 4, 2004

  2. In article <40c033e0$0$2277$>,
    RosalieM <> wrote:
    >I would like to understand what python needs to work on unix.
    >And to understand how i can make it smalest possible?
    >I dont understand at all setup.
    >
    >I searched in python.org and in sources but it is not clear at all for me.
    >
    >Can python run with a posix C compiler and minix or something like that ?

    .
    .
    .
    There are probably simple answers to your questions. It
    might take a bit of conversation before we understand each
    other's language.

    Most Unix host nowadays install with Python already present.
    Under MacOS and nearly all Linux distributions, for example,
    I can type at the command line, and receive responses:
    # python
    Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
    [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin
    >>> 3 + 8.5

    11.5
    >>> print("Hello, world.")

    Hello, world.
    Is that the sort of information you seek? If you prefer,
    fr.comp.lang.python is also available as a Usenet newsgroup.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    Cameron Laird, Jun 4, 2004

  3. RosalieM

    RosalieM Guest

    "Cameron Laird" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > In article <40c033e0$0$2277$>,
    > RosalieM <> wrote:
    > >I would like to understand what python needs to work on unix.
    > >And to understand how i can make it smalest possible?
    > >I dont understand at all setup.
    > >
    > >I searched in python.org and in sources but it is not clear at all for

    me.

    > >Can python run with a posix C compiler and minix or something like that ?

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > There are probably simple answers to your questions. It
    > might take a bit of conversation before we understand each
    > other's language.
    >
    > Most Unix host nowadays install with Python already present.
    > Under MacOS and nearly all Linux distributions, for example,
    > I can type at the command line, and receive responses:
    > # python
    > Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
    > [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin

    > 11.5

    > Hello, world.
    > Is that the sort of information you seek? If you prefer,
    > fr.comp.lang.python is also available as a Usenet newsgroup.
    > --
    >
    > Cameron Laird <>
    > Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    I used a lfs 4.0 to build my unix. But is is very fat. I can compile python
    from there and play with "Hello World", but i dont uderstand how to choose
    what i need and what i dont need to compile it and choose features that
    python would be able to do.

    For example, can i build python on a minix system?
    Why socket module needs threads to compile ?

    I search answers to this kind of questions.

    Thanks.

    RosalieM, Jun 6, 2004
  4. In article <40c32fbd$0$2287$>,
    RosalieM <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >I used a lfs 4.0 to build my unix. But is is very fat. I can compile python
    >from there and play with "Hello World", but i dont uderstand how to choose
    >what i need and what i dont need to compile it and choose features that
    >python would be able to do.
    >
    >For example, can i build python on a minix system?
    >Why socket module needs threads to compile ?
    >
    >I search answers to this kind of questions.

    .
    .
    .
    Now I understand MUCH better.

    Yes and no.

    No, standard Python does not generate cleanly under Minix.
    The sockets module wants to offer concurrency--do I need
    to explain why it's so natural to support services that
    can multitask?--and a design decision early in Python's
    history and architecture was to model concurrency on
    threading. It certainly is possible to construct good
    socket interfaces without threads; Tcl, for example, does
    so. Python simply made a different choice, though, and
    one which I think you're observing complicates its porta-
    bility to some operating systems.

    On yet another hand, some people work with "small Pythons",
    ones which include only a fraction of the standard Python's
    capabilities. I'm sure one of those will do fine under
    Minix. One quick way to make progress in that direction is
    to pick up an early distribution--Python 1.2? 2.0?--and see
    how you like that.

    What's the *real* goal, though? Do you want any small-but-
    capable language under any small-but-capable embedded
    operating system? If that's the only constraint, I might
    be inclined to look to a language more easily portable and
    slender than Python, maybe Lua, Tcl, Forth, or one of the
    small Lisps.

    Cameron Laird, Jun 7, 2004
  5. RosalieM

    > In article <40c033e0$0$2277$>,
    > RosalieM <> wrote:
    > >I would like to understand what python needs to work on unix.
    > >And to understand how i can make it smalest possible?
    > >I dont understand at all setup.
    > >
    > >I searched in python.org and in sources but it is not clear at all for

    me.

    > >Can python run with a posix C compiler and minix or something like that ?

    > .
    > .
    > .
    > There are probably simple answers to your questions. It
    > might take a bit of conversation before we understand each
    > other's language.
    >
    > Most Unix host nowadays install with Python already present.
    > Under MacOS and nearly all Linux distributions, for example,
    > I can type at the command line, and receive responses:
    > # python
    > Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
    > [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin

    > 11.5

    > Hello, world.
    > Is that the sort of information you seek? If you prefer,
    > fr.comp.lang.python is also available as a Usenet newsgroup.
    > --
    >
    > Cameron Laird <>
    > Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

    I used a lfs 4.0 to build my unix. But is is very fat (250 M). I can compile
    python
    from there and play with "Hello World",
    but i dont uderstand how to choose
    what i need and what i dont need to compile python (library needed)
    and how to choose features that python would be able to do
    (for example if i dont inted to use some modules).

    My questions are like :
    For example, can i build python on a minix system?
    Why socket module needs threads to compile ?

    I search answers to this kind of questions.
    You may right saying that it is possible that there is simple answers
    and i may ununderstand some basic features of how system works
    if so give me direction to search, because as i told i looked into python
    site
    for documentation about this and found nothing.

    Thanks.

    RosalieM, Jun 9, 2004