    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Jul 27, 2005

  2. > It appears what I'm reading is that Windows 2K3, like XP, supports what
    > MSFT
    > calls a compressed zipped folder. Is this exposed so I can effectively
    > use
    > FSO or a shell to create one of these and move some files into it and then
    > offer it as a download on my web site?

    My limited experimentation in internal projects has led me to implement a
    solution using wzcline instead (WinZip 9.0's command-line utility). Being
    internal, we weren't as limited by the issues that impact most web sites
    (e.g. running as IUSR).

    In ASP.Net we have used ICSharp's zip libraries (don't recall the URL
    handily) and this worked quite well, but these were for desktop or
    command-line applications and not web-based ...

    If you do find out about any APIs that are usable from an ASP perspective,
    please post back here, because I'd be interested in trying them out (and
    comparing them to the performance of wzcline).
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 27, 2005

  3. No, unfortunately, there is no built-in automation support for zip
    "folders." You still have to use some third party zip handler for
    automating zipping things. I'm not sure why MS didn't open it up to
    scripting, but I suppose there's a reason.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jul 27, 2005
  4. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    message news:...
    : No, unfortunately, there is no built-in automation support for zip
    : "folders." You still have to use some third party zip handler for
    : automating zipping things. I'm not sure why MS didn't open it up to
    : scripting, but I suppose there's a reason.

    They didn't even open it up to the command-line.
    Thanks Ray.

    Roland Hall, Jul 28, 2005
  5. I assume you've investigated the 3rd party options? ZBit's component worked
    *quite* well for me in a past project...

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2187
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 28, 2005
  6. Roland Hall

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : My limited experimentation in internal projects has led me to implement a
    : solution using wzcline instead (WinZip 9.0's command-line utility). Being
    : internal, we weren't as limited by the issues that impact most web sites
    : (e.g. running as IUSR).
    :
    : In ASP.Net we have used ICSharp's zip libraries (don't recall the URL
    : handily) and this worked quite well, but these were for desktop or
    : command-line applications and not web-based ...
    :
    : If you do find out about any APIs that are usable from an ASP perspective,
    : please post back here, because I'd be interested in trying them out (and
    : comparing them to the performance of wzcline).

    The guy is interested in winzip so that'll probably work out just fine. I
    think I saw something APIs when I was researching. I'll recheck and let you
    know.

    Thanks.

    Roland Hall, Jul 28, 2005
  7. Winzip has a command line add-on. I like it.
    http://www.winzip.com/downcl.htm

    Sample code (I think this works anyway. I don't trust any of my code that
    is from February of 2003. ;] )

    Ray at work

    Dim objShell
    sZipfile
    sZipsource

    sZipfile = Server.MapPath("/test.zip")
    sZipsource = Server.MapPath("/")
    Set objShell = Server.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objShell.Run "wzzip " & sZipfile & " " & sZipsource & "\*.asp" ,0,True
    Set objShell = Nothing

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jul 28, 2005