computer algebra packages

Rahul

Hi.
Well is there an open source computer algebra system written in python
or at least having a python interface?
I know of 2 efforts: pythonica and pyginac...are there any others?

rahul

Kay Schluehr

Rahul said:
Hi.
Well is there an open source computer algebra system written in python
or at least having a python interface?
I know of 2 efforts: pythonica and pyginac...are there any others?

rahul

Not in the moment. But I have a question to you: why do you seek for a
CAS in Python? I ask this because I'm interested in such kind of stuff
and secretly working on one, but this is highly experimental, a proof
of the concept work and will probably not provide the amount of
features/packages of a commercial CAS like Mathematica and Maple in a
dozend years. There are also a couple of free CAS like Octave or Yacas,
that do their job. Why do people ask periodically for a CAS in Python
in this place? I'm just curious about it.

Kay

Rahul

Hi.
The reason is simple enough. I plan to do some academic research
related to computer algebra for which i need some package which i can
call as a library. Since i am not going to use the package
myself..(rather my program will)..it will be helpful to have a python
package since i wanted to write the thing in python. if none is
available then probably i will need to work on an interface to some
package written in some other language or work in that language itself.
rahul

Fernando Perez

Rahul said:
Hi.
The reason is simple enough. I plan to do some academic research
related to computer algebra for which i need some package which i can
call as a library. Since i am not going to use the package
myself..(rather my program will)..it will be helpful to have a python
package since i wanted to write the thing in python. if none is
available then probably i will need to work on an interface to some
package written in some other language or work in that language itself.

I've heard of people writing a Python MathLink interface to Mathematica, which
essentially turns Mathematica into a Python module. But I don't have any
references handy, sorry, and as far as I remember it was done as a private
contract. But it's doable.

Cheers,

David M. Cooke

Fernando Perez said:
I've heard of people writing a Python MathLink interface to Mathematica, which
essentially turns Mathematica into a Python module. But I don't have any
references handy, sorry, and as far as I remember it was done as a private
contract. But it's doable.

It should also be doable with Maple, using the OpenMaple API. I've
looked at it, and it should be possible. I haven't had the time to
actually do anything, though :)

Bill Mill

I've heard of people writing a Python MathLink interface to Mathematica, which
essentially turns Mathematica into a Python module. But I don't have any
references handy, sorry, and as far as I remember it was done as a private
contract. But it's doable.

What about http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/585/ ?
Seems to be non-proprietary, or something different, but does it work?
I don't have Mathematica, so I don't know.

Peace
Bill Mill
bill.mill at gmail.com

Fernando Perez

Bill said:
What about http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/585/ ?
Seems to be non-proprietary, or something different, but does it work?
I don't have Mathematica, so I don't know.

Mmh, not very promising. I just downloaded it, and it looks pretty dated:

PYML is a python interface to Mathematica which uses MathLink. It allows the
Python programmer to evaluate Mathematica expressions. Expressions are
passed to PYML as a Python object, which is processed into MathLink calls.
PYML calls MathLink to evaluate the expression and prints the result.
Currently, PYML supports Mathematica 2.2 and 3.0. The program is evolving
continuously.

given that Mathematica is at v5.1, this may or may not work. It's from 1998,
has no setup.py, etc. It might still work, and if nothing else it would be a
perfect starting point and a nice project to revive. But I don't have the
time nor the need for this right now, perhaps the OP might want to play with
it. Thanks for the reference though, I didn't know abou it.

Best,

Florian Diesch

Rahul said:
Well is there an open source computer algebra system written in python
or at least having a python interface?
I know of 2 efforts: pythonica and pyginac...are there any others?

Probably this is usable for you (I never used any of them):

Package: mascyma
Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for the Computer
Algebra System GNU MAXIMA. It is written in Python and provides two GUIs,
one of which based on PyGTK, the other based on wxPython.

Package: maxima
This system MAXIMA is a COMMON LISP implementation due to William F.
Schelter, and is based on the original implementation of Macsyma at
MIT, as distributed by the Department of Energy. I now have
permission from DOE to make derivative copies, and in particular to
distribute it under the GNU public license.
.
This package contains the main executables and base system files.

Florian

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[Florian Diesch]
Probably this is usable for you (I never used any of them):
This system MAXIMA is [...] based on the original implementation of
Macsyma at MIT [...]

Wow! A derivative of Joel Moses' integrator!! I was not aware this
existed, so thanks for the pointer. It worked out of the box for me!
Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for the Computer
Algebra System GNU MAXIMA. It is written in Python and provides two GUIs,
one of which based on PyGTK, the other based on wxPython.

I was not successful googling for this one. Would you have an URL handy?

Robert Kern

François Pinard said:
[Florian Diesch]
Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for the Computer
Algebra System GNU MAXIMA. It is written in Python and provides two GUIs,
one of which based on PyGTK, the other based on wxPython.

I was not successful googling for this one. Would you have an URL handy?

Note the deliberate spelling, and cut-and-paste.

http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/index.xhtml.de

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[Robert Kern]
François Pinard said:
[Florian Diesch]
Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for
the Computer Algebra System GNU MAXIMA. It is written in Python
and provides two GUIs, one of which based on PyGTK, the other based
on wxPython.
I was not successful googling for this one. Would you have an URL handy?
Note the deliberate spelling, and cut-and-paste.

Thanks. The `Mascyma' versus `Macsyma' subtlety escaped my scrutiny :).

Their CVS server (the only download choice) is not responding. So I'll
forget "Mascyma" for now. Maxima does work, that's a lot already! :) I
perused what I could find about Python on algebra or symbolic calculus,
and nothing I saw, so far, stands even a pale comparison with Maxima.

Bengt Richter

[Florian Diesch]
Probably this is usable for you (I never used any of them):
This system MAXIMA is [...] based on the original implementation of
Macsyma at MIT [...]

Wow! A derivative of Joel Moses' integrator!! I was not aware this
existed, so thanks for the pointer. It worked out of the box for me!
Mascyma is (trying to be) a user-friendly graphical frontend for the Computer
Algebra System GNU MAXIMA. It is written in Python and provides two GUIs,
one of which based on PyGTK, the other based on wxPython.

I was not successful googling for this one. Would you have an URL handy?
I also found

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/math/mascyma

by googling for "A user-friendly frontend for MAXIMA"

(I find that quoting a whole phrase that is likely to be repeated in
docs and in references often finds stuff)

Then googling for mascsyma [sic ;-)] got

http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/index.xhtml.de
leading to screenshots at
http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/screenshots.xhtml.de

No idea what the status of all that is, but looks nice.

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Robert Kern

Bengt said:
Then googling for mascsyma [sic ;-)] got

I doubt it. ;-)

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

JCDenton

Rahulwrote
Hi
Well is there an open source computer algebra system written i pytho
or at least having a python interface
I know of 2 efforts: pythonica and pyginac...are there any others

rahu

There is mascyma
http://home.arcor.de/mulk/projects/mascyma/download.xhtml.en
that is a pyhton based interface to maxima. I do not know how i
works, since it does not work for me in the moment. The windo
appears on screen but I get no promt in the moment

Regards,