Confused on Java Capabilities

WStoreyII

Im kind a confused on java. I know that you can make applets. But what
about applications like windows forms and stuff like that? How can this be
done.

i am very new to programming have dablled with vb.net a little bit for
school so understand the basic concepts of oop but other than that i am kind
of lost right now and i wish to learn java as i am sick of microsoft and
there stupid policies.

WStoreyII

Andrew Thompson

..I know that you can make applets. But what
about applications like windows forms
??

..and stuff like that? How can this be
done.

<http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/TurningAnApplet/>

That article discusses converting an applet
to an application, but more recently I have
been combining the two in a single class.
The class is an applet when called from HTML,
and an application when called from command
line or the jar is 'double clicked'..

Steve Horsley

WStoreyII said:
Im kind a confused on java. I know that you can make applets. But what
about applications like windows forms and stuff like that? How can this be
done.

i am very new to programming have dablled with vb.net a little bit for
school so understand the basic concepts of oop but other than that i am kind
of lost right now and i wish to learn java as i am sick of microsoft and
there stupid policies.

WStoreyII

Applets are loaded from a web page. They are very limited in capabilities
because for security, they are not allowed to access host resources such as
files, or the local network.

Applications are not restricted that way. You launch a class (or a jar file
containing classes) with the command java... like this:
java MyClass
or
java -jar myfile.jar

Roedy's web site is well worth visiting. So is Sun's tutorial, to be found
at http://java.sun.com.

Forget applets for a while. They're so passé.

Steve

Roedy Green

Forget applets for a while. They're so passé.

The problem is they tie you hands. At every turn they thwart you. On
the other hand you can't do any damage with one.

They are harder to debug and add the complexity of browser bugs. I
would not start with Applets even if they give you nice fridge magnets
to show Mom.