Confusion about .NET Development for Smartphone 2003

Alex Maghen

I've been trying to figure out how to develop a simple application in C# for
MS Smartphone 2003 or later. And I had thought that the basic .NET framework
needed to run such an application is pre-installed in Smartphone 2003 and
later. Yet when I go to build the application and distribute it to the phone,
I'm told that all kinds of .NET stuff needs to be installed on the phone
first. Can you explain why this would be?

Thanks.

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the ASP.NET mobile newsgroup.

As for Smartphone 2003 or Pocket PC 2003 application developing, Visual
Studio 2005 team suite edition will automatically install the 2003 sdk and
emulators for smartphone and PPC, so if you're using the Visual Studio 2005
team suite, you can just create the certain smart device project and build
and debug in emulators.

#Smart Device Development
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sa69he4t.aspx

As for actual device, I think the .net compact framework is necessary on
the system if you're using .NET compact framework to develop the
application.

BTW, since this newsgroup is specific to ASP.NET mobile application, I'd
suggest you also try posting your question in some other .NET compact
framework or windows mobile development specific newsgroups or forums.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security