Connect to remote DataBase

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by HRsoft Informática, Sep 24, 2008.

  1. Dear Friends
    I'm new with asp.net.
    I have a asp.net 2.0 application hosted in a ISP, that don't permit instal
    of Firebird database.

    I need this application to access a firebird database that is installed in a
    Windows 2008 Server in another place, ie, in my local network.

    This is for test only, but I intend to create this app to real clients that
    has another win32 app that uses the database in local network

    I created in No-IP a host, that redirect to 3050 port (used by firebird)
    In the router I created a portforward to ip (machine) that has the firebird
    and database instaled
    I use the follow ConnectionString in web.config:

    <add name="SilojaNetFB"
    connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;database=c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=http://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3; "/>

    When run the application, I get error.
    Can you help me?

    Thanks
    --
    Hércules
    HRsoft Informática - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
    HRsoft Informática, Sep 24, 2008

  2. I am not sure how Firebird works. In general, however, you cannot attach to
    a file on a local drive remotely:
    c:\silojaw\ibo\HRMERCADO.gdb

    Based on what little I have found out there, it appears that your connection
    string should be more like:

    connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;database=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=http://silojafb.no-ip.com;Port=3050;Dialect=3;"

    But I am not sure the DataSource is correct here. You may have to change to
    IP address instead:

    connectionString="User=SYSDBA;Password=masterkey;database=HRMERCADO.gdb;DataSource=10.0.0.2;Port=3050;Dialect=3;"

    Here is an excellent site to bookmark for when you are having problems with
    connection strings:
    http://www.connectionstrings.com/

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |
    "HRsoft Informática" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 24, 2008

  3. Thank you for your response.
    In local network, works ok.
    But when the application try to connect with another network, via Internet,
    not.

    HRsoft Informática, Sep 24, 2008
  4. It could be a port is being filtered and the database cannot be reached. I
    would look at the firewall on the database server side.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 26, 2008