    does anyone know how to (in general terms) create a connection string
    to access the data base

    thanks paul
    paulcis, Sep 11, 2006

  2. paulcis wrote:
    > I am trying to link to a microsoft adp file using ASP
    > does anyone know how to (in general terms) create a connection string
    > to access the data base

    I'm not sure what an adp file is. A Jet database file usually has the
    extension .mdb. Does the .adp file contain the database as well? Or does
    it contain the UI needed to work with the .mdb file? You would need to
    post to an Access group for that. You can find Jet connection strings
    here:

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 11, 2006

  3. paulcis

    Mike Brind Guest

    Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > paulcis wrote:
    > > I am trying to link to a microsoft adp file using ASP
    > > does anyone know how to (in general terms) create a connection string
    > > to access the data base
    > >

    > I'm not sure what an adp file is. A Jet database file usually has the
    > extension .mdb. Does the .adp file contain the database as well? Or does
    > it contain the UI needed to work with the .mdb file? You would need to
    > post to an Access group for that. You can find Jet connection strings
    > here:
    >
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    An ADP is an Access Data Project. Effectively, it's an Access
    front-end (with a couple of mods) to a SQL Server back end. The .adp
    file is the UI to the .mdf file.

    To Paul: You should look at the SQL Server connection string in the
    link that Bob offered. That will connect you to the data, but your adp
    file will be redundant.

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Sep 12, 2006