Problems connecting to MS SQL via Access2000 adp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Paul, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    For the past several projects, I have been using an Access 2000 .adp file to
    create and manage the database on the remote SQL Server. It has worked very
    well for me and is a very fast, simple way to take care of minor updates.

    A new project is not going so well, though. No matter what I try, I can not
    get a connection established. This project is on a server I do not control,
    so I am having to work only with the information provided to me by the
    admin.

    Using an online admin tool provided by the server administrator, I am able
    to log in and view the database and make edits via manually written SQL
    statements. However, using the server name provided and the same login info,
    I am unable to establish a connection through Access.

    The admin also told me to use a file-based DSN connection in my ASP pages; I
    have always used DSN-less in the past, and can not figure out why a DSN
    would be required. Could there be any connection between this and not being
    able to connect via Access?

    Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Paul

    Tom B Guest

    I would guess that the sql server is hidden behind a firewall.

    Odds are it's only accessible through the interface they gave you.

    I'd stick with the DSNLess connection you're used to.

    TomB

    Tom B, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Tom,

    Thanks for the reply. That confirms my thoughts. I find it interesting they
    would hide it while the provider I usually use, a major hosting provider,
    allows connections via 1433 directly to their SQL Server.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 5, 2005
  4. If that's the problem, then you can specify the port you want to use in your
    connection string. Ask the host what port is open in their firewall. See
    http://www.carlprothman.net/Default.aspx?tabid=81 for an example of a
    connection string in which the port is specified.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 5, 2005