connecting to an oracle database on an hp server

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by jctown@nb.sympatico.ca, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Well I'm at my wits end...

    I have an oracle database on an HPUX box that I can connect to using
    this code:

    require 'oci8'

    connection = OCI8.new('user','passwd','connectstring')
    connection.exec("select table_row from table") do |row|
    puts 'column 1: ' + row[0] # outputs "dummy: X"
    end

    Works beautifully, but when I set up a rails application I get

    OCIError in ArtifactController#new

    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

    Here is my database.yml file

    # MySQL (default setup). Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
    #
    # Install the MySQL driver:
    # gem install mysql
    # On MacOS X:
    # gem install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib
    # On Windows:
    # There is no gem for Windows. Install mysql.so from RubyForApache.
    # http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyforapache
    #
    # And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
    # http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
    development:
    adapter: oci
    username: xxxxxxxxx
    password: xxxxx
    host: host_alias:port

    # Warning: The database defined as 'test' will be erased and
    # re-generated from your development database when you run 'rake'.
    # Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
    test:
    adapter: oci
    username: xxxxxxxxx
    password: xxxxx
    host: host_alias:port

    production:
    adapter: oci
    username: xxxxxxxxx
    password: xxxxx
    host: host_alias:port

    I can't think of anything to check and google doesn't tell me much
    except for

    http://ruby.about.com/od/enterprise/ss/ruby_oracle_7.htm

    Which is where I started out 3 hrs ago.

    , Jul 19, 2006

  2. ChrisH Guest

    wrote:
    > Well I'm at my wits end...
    >
    > I have an oracle database on an HPUX box

    > Works beautifully, but when I set up a rails application I get
    >
    > OCIError in ArtifactController#new
    >
    > ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
    >
    > Here is my database.yml file
    >
    > # MySQL (default setup). Versions 4.1 and 5.0 are recommended.
    > #
    > # Install the MySQL driver:
    > # gem install mysql
    > # On MacOS X:
    > # gem install mysql -- --include=/usr/local/lib
    > # On Windows:
    > # There is no gem for Windows. Install mysql.so from RubyForApache.
    > # http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyforapache
    > #
    > # And be sure to use new-style password hashing:
    > # http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
    > development:
    > adapter: oci
    > username: xxxxxxxxx
    > password: xxxxx
    > host: host_alias:port
    >
    > # Warning: The database defined as 'test' will be erased and
    > # re-generated from your development database when you run 'rake'.
    > # Do not set this db to the same as development or production.
    > test:
    > adapter: oci
    > username: xxxxxxxxx
    > password: xxxxx
    > host: host_alias:port
    >
    > production:
    > adapter: oci
    > username: xxxxxxxxx
    > password: xxxxx
    > host: host_alias:port

    Found this Rails wiki
    (http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoConnectToOracle)
    and notice the database.yml they show is a bit different than yours.
    Lots of info there about getting conencted

    Cheers
    Chris

    ChrisH, Jul 19, 2006