    Thank you a lot.

    Andrea.

    , Feb 27, 2005

  2. Kartic Guest

    said the following on 2/27/2005 4:44 AM:
    > Hello NG,
    >
    > I am trying to find some information about the possibility to control
    > two (or more) clients (PCs) via a Python application running on a main server.
    > Ideally, this application should be able to monitor (almost in real time)
    > the "activity" of these clients (which applications are launched, closed
    > and so on, if this is even possible, obviously). Does anyone have to share
    > some information/pointer?
    >
    > Thank you a lot.
    >
    > Andrea.

    Andrea,

    Since you have not specified any operating system, my suggestion is for
    you to go for a generic solution like pyheartbeat. Pyheartbeat is a
    program with server and client components and uses UDP to monitor which
    client computers are down and which, active.

    You can modify pyheartbeat to do what you are wanting, by wrapping your
    monitoring functions and sending that information back to the server. To
    make things more elegant, you could probably come up with an XML schema
    (or other formatted text like JSON or use Pickle to
    serialize/de-serialze data structures) so that the information is
    machine-friendly but you still can translate the XML for a pretty
    display on the server.

    Pyheartbeat can be found at
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52302

    If you are using Windows NT-based technology, you can setup your clients
    so that all activity is logged to the server; I believe there are 3rd
    pary applications available that can do this for you. Sorry, I don't
    know the specifics on how to do it.

    For *nix OSes, you can have the syslog daemon log to a remote machine
    instead of the local. So, you can log all activity to the UNIX server.
    (Though, to me, it appears that you are looking for remote top like
    functionality for networked PCs).

    Thanks,
    -Kartic

    Kartic, Feb 27, 2005