Converted ASP.NET project: Refactor pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steven Nagy, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. Steven Nagy

    Steven Nagy Guest

    Howdy folks.

    So I have an App from 1.1 that I converted to 2.0.
    I now want to refactor a bit.
    One of the things I want to do is create master page for the header,
    footer and menu that exists on EVERY page in this application.
    Currently those 3 items are individually controls on each form.
    While I have no problems with how to use Master and Content pages, I
    would like to know if there is an easy way to refactor in this
    scenario.

    Ideally I would like to convert the current format of pages
    (something.aspx and something.aspx.cs) into the new 2.0 format
    (something.aspx, something.aspx.designer.cs and something.aspx.cs), as
    well as extracting the page into a Master page.

    Can this be done easily? If I can do one but not the other (master
    extraction, or new file heirarchy) then I would still be happy. Both
    would make me extatic. Neither means I have a hard night of manual
    extraction ahead of me.

    Thanks!
    Steven
    Steven Nagy, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Part of it will be easy, part probably not.

    It is easy enough to add master page and rid the controls. It is also
    possible to chagne the form tag to your content container tag, provided you
    only have one hot region.

    Stripping out all of the header and footer information will be a bit harder,
    but you can write a program to look for the start and end tags of each
    secti8on.

    Make a backup before doing anything.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 16, 2006