Converting W2K3 Website to XP Vdirs

MattC

I have been given several projects to make ammendments to, from what I can
gather the original structure was something similar to this:

WebsiteA
Project file
Sln file
WebsiteB
Project file
Sln file
WebsiteC
Project file
Sln file
WebsiteAdmin
Project file
Sln file

The physical file structure is.

WebsiteAdmin
Project file
Sln file

TopFolder
WebsiteA
Project file
Sln file
WebsiteB
Project file
Sln file
WebsiteC
Project file
Sln file

I created a vdirectory for each website and tried to load a solution, I was
presented with the error that project url does not match to url of the
location I'm trying to open.

I've tried creating a blank solution and adding the project, I've even tried
creating a blank project and adding the files. I think a website should
still be able to be set up as a vdir but the IDE does not seem to want to
open the files.

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

MattC

Brock Allen

Check the contents of the .webinfo file for each of these. It contains the
URL the project will look for.

aspdotnetguru

Remove virtual directories you created and then remove all files. Then
you can create new project with "same name" as the previous projects.
Then copy your project files to newly created folders. You should then
be able to open the sln file.

There is some more reading that will help you at the following link.

Good luck!

James Steele
Senior .NET Consultant
(e-mail address removed)
http://weblogs.asp.net/jamessteele

MattC

Thanks guys,

I also read that I should maybe delete the .suo file for the solution as
this sometimes contains project locations.

Any thought?

TIA

MattC

Brock Allen

The .suo and .userinfo files are just user preferences from VS.NET, so yeah,
you can kill those and it won't affect the ASP.NET app.

MattC

Ok that worked well. However, when this app (or whatever it is, I have so
far counted 7 solutions/projects) was written they obviously created each
site in the root directory so all controls on the pages are mapped using
/folder/controla.asax. So when placed in a vdir they constantly try, as
ASP.NET informs me "..access a different web site, which is not allowed".

I'm hoping you will comeback to me with some magic way of creating all the
links in a project to relative.....but I'm not holding out much hope.

If you have several websites that are coded to be run from root on a website
then you cannot (without code change) map this to vdirs on a non Server
edition of IIS.

TIA

MattC