File location for asp.net project

Peter Hemmingsen

Hi

When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
located according to the default settings.

I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
site project:

c:\code\MyWebsite\MyWebsite.sln
c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Code
c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Data
c:\code\MyWebsite\Bin
c:\code\MyWebsite\Service.asmx
c:\code\MyWebsite\Web.Config

I've tried moving the sln file after creating the project but it gives all
sorts of problem when trying to debug the project (F5) or using "Publish web
site".

Any suggestions?

Peter

Guest

Hi

When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
located according to the default settings.

I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
site project:

c:\code\MyWebsite\MyWebsite.sln
c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Code
c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Data
c:\code\MyWebsite\Bin
c:\code\MyWebsite\Service.asmx
c:\code\MyWebsite\Web.Config

I've tried moving the sln file after creating the project but it gives all
sorts of problem when trying to debug the project (F5) or using "Publish web
site".

Any suggestions?

Peter

Hi Peter

select Solution <name> in the Solution Explorer, click File, Save
<name>.sln As...

Cheers

Peter Bradley

Ysgrifennodd Peter Hemmingsen:
Hi

When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
located according to the default settings.

I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
site project:

Yes. I like to have the solution file in the same file system as the
rest of the code. Not everyone agrees, I know, but it's the way I like it.

What I do, is to create a new *blank* solution as a starting point, and
make sure to create it in the location I want. Once the blank solution
is created, you can add a Web site to the solution and it will be placed
under the solution folder.

The other way I know of is to download an add-on from MS that allows you
to use .NET 1.1 template semantics when creating ASP.NET solutions. It
works, but I prefer the first method.

HTH

Peter