File location for asp.net project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Peter Hemmingsen, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Hi

    When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
    solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
    located according to the default settings.

    I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
    site project:

    c:\code\MyWebsite\MyWebsite.sln
    c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Code
    c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Data
    c:\code\MyWebsite\Bin
    c:\code\MyWebsite\Service.asmx
    c:\code\MyWebsite\Web.Config

    I've tried moving the sln file after creating the project but it gives all
    sorts of problem when trying to debug the project (F5) or using "Publish web
    site".

    Any suggestions?

    Peter

    Peter Hemmingsen, Jun 8, 2007

  2. On Jun 8, 3:52 pm, "Peter Hemmingsen" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
    > solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
    > located according to the default settings.
    >
    > I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
    > site project:
    >
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\MyWebsite.sln
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Code
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\App_Data
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\Bin
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\Service.asmx
    > c:\code\MyWebsite\Web.Config
    >
    > I've tried moving the sln file after creating the project but it gives all
    > sorts of problem when trying to debug the project (F5) or using "Publish web
    > site".
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Peter

    Hi Peter

    select Solution <name> in the Solution Explorer, click File, Save
    <name>.sln As...

    Cheers

    Alexey Smirnov, Jun 8, 2007

  3. Ysgrifennodd Peter Hemmingsen:
    > Hi
    >
    > When building a new asp.net project in VS 2005 (using file/new/Website) the
    > solution file is always named with the name specified for the project and
    > located according to the default settings.
    >
    > I want to have the sln file in the same directory as the rest of the web
    > site project:

    Yes. I like to have the solution file in the same file system as the
    rest of the code. Not everyone agrees, I know, but it's the way I like it.

    What I do, is to create a new *blank* solution as a starting point, and
    make sure to create it in the location I want. Once the blank solution
    is created, you can add a Web site to the solution and it will be placed
    under the solution folder.

    The other way I know of is to download an add-on from MS that allows you
    to use .NET 1.1 template semantics when creating ASP.NET solutions. It
    works, but I prefer the first method.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter Bradley, Jun 8, 2007