Converting Word files to HTML in Word Cleaner

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Al Moritz, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Al Moritz

    Al Moritz Guest

    Hi all,

    I was always told that the conversion of Word files to HTML as done by
    Word itself sucks - you get a lot of unnecessary code that can
    influence the design on web browsers other than Internet Explorer. Our
    computer expert in my company had told me already a while ago that I
    should learn HTML and encode myself. I was never inclined to do so (I
    am no computer expert), and when upon his suggestion I looked how my
    pages (converted to HTML in Word) appeared in Netscape, they looked
    just fine.

    Lately however, some pages of my website that looked correct in
    Explorer got a screwed-up look in Netscape. Furthermore, when I
    recently converted Word documents on my new Mac, uploaded them to the
    web and looked at them on a PC, I was absolutely horrified. All kinds
    of strange characters appeared, and I took the pages off as fast as I
    had put them on.

    This did it for me: I had to get some serious HTML code design going.
    Still not inclined to learn HTML however (something you can criticize
    me for, but not point of this topic), I did some search on the web,
    and found the new program Word Cleaner:

    http://www.wordcleaner.com/

    They claim that it's so good blah blah and that it cleans up Word
    files professionally blah blah, but instead of having to believe them
    before you buy they offer a free 15 days trial version. I downloaded
    it. I discovered that the program does convert Word/HTML files made on
    a PC, but not those made on a Mac - what it does though is converting
    Word.rtf files from both PC and Mac. And that conversion of rtf
    documents is what I used (it also converts txt. files) - on my laptop
    it takes 2 seconds for an 80 kb document to convert.

    I was amazed. My HTML file sizes shrunk in half, and there was so
    much less code! Moreover, the webpages created in Word Cleaner looked
    identical to those created in Word on Explorer, and the few files
    converted in Word that looked screwed up on Netscape now looked fine,
    converted in Word Cleaner.

    I showed this to our computer expert in my company, and he said this
    really looks good - it actually looks like HTML design from a
    professional web designer, he said. Hmmm, you can judge for yourself.
    Go to my website:

    http://home.earthlink.net/~almoritz/stockhausenreviews.htm

    and look at the HMTL source of any page except my main page.

    (That one looks correct in both Explorer and Netscape but has a few
    font problems in Safari - so I guess there is still some crappy code
    hidden somewhere. That file was converted to Word.rtf from a Word.html
    file, and from there converted to .html in Word Cleaner. All the other
    files were never .html files before, only Word.rtf or Word.doc (and
    from there rtf) files, before being converted to .html in Word
    Cleaner).

    See for yourself ("view - source" of the files), to judge what you
    think of the HTML code as generated by Word Cleaner. For comparison
    purposes, I also have uploaded the file "donnerstag2" which you can
    view when you go to the link "Donnerstag aus Licht" and then insert a
    "2" between "donnerstag" and ".htm" in the URL. "donnerstag2" is
    identical to "donnerstag" but was converted to HTML in Word - look at
    the gigantic file size (file - properties) and all the unnecessary,
    crappy codes!

    Al Moritz, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Al Moritz

    West Guest

    "Al Moritz" wrote in message >
    [...]

    Maybe Al's post was Spam, maybe not?!

    $99 --- waaaay too expensive!

    Its a very simple and quick task to convert MSWord files to HTML without
    MSWord bloated code. If you use a wysiwyg html editor here's one method --

    1. Copy and Paste the content from a word document into your Outlook Express
    (or other email client)
    2. Format as plain text, then Copy and Paste your plain text content into
    your wysiwyg FPage, Namo or 'whatever' editor.

    Maybe there are other tried and trusted simple methods to rip that word
    bloat, without having to spend ?!

    :)

    West, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Al Moritz

    Gerry Nance Guest

> [...]

    >font problems in Safari - so I guess there is still some crappy code
    >hidden somewhere. That file was converted to Word.rtf from a Word.html
    >file, and from there converted to .html in Word Cleaner. All the other
    >files were never .html files before, only Word.rtf or Word.doc (and
    >from there rtf) files, before being converted to .html in Word
    >Cleaner).
    >
    >See for yourself ("view - source" of the files), to judge what you
    >think of the HTML code as generated by Word Cleaner. For comparison
    >purposes, I also have uploaded the file "donnerstag2" which you can
    >view when you go to the link "Donnerstag aus Licht" and then insert a
    >"2" between "donnerstag" and ".htm" in the URL. "donnerstag2" is
    >identical to "donnerstag" but was converted to HTML in Word - look at
    >the gigantic file size (file - properties) and all the unnecessary,

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-8687198-2556116

    1. HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart Guide,
    Fifth Edition -- by Elizabeth Castro; Paperback
    Buy new: $16.54 -- Used & new from: $10.50
    2. HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS -- by Dan Shafer;
    Paperback
    Buy new: $39.95
    3. HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition -- by Chuck Musciano,
    Bill Kennedy; Paperback
    Buy new: $27.97 -- Used & new from: $17.50

    1. Learning Web Design: A Beginners Guide to Html Graphics and Beyond
    by Jennifer Niederst (Paperback - September 2003)

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $39.95
    Buy new: $27.97
    Used & new from $27.29

    2. Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web Design
    by Eric A. Meyer (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $45.00
    Buy new: $35.44
    Used & new from $29.53

    3. Applied XML Programming for Microsoft .NET
    by Dino Esposito, et al (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $49.99
    Buy new: $34.99
    Used & new from $26.59

    4. Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference (2nd Edition)
    by Danny Goodman (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    Editions: Paperback | more...

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $59.95
    Buy new: $41.97
    Used & new from $16.50

    5. Microsoft .NET XML Web Services Step by Step
    by Adam Freeman, et al (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $39.99
    Buy new: $27.99
    Used & new from $24.89

    6. The Guru's Guide to SQL Server Stored Procedures, XML, and HTML (With
    CD-ROM)
    by Ken Henderson (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $49.99
    Buy new: $34.99
    Used & new from $25.99

    7. Essentials of RoboHelp HTML X3
    by Kevin A. Siegel (Spiral-bound)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $35.00
    Buy new: $35.00

    8. XSLT Cookbook
    by Sal Mangano (Paperback - December 2002)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $39.95
    Buy new: $27.97
    Used & new from $22.40

    9. XML in Theory and Practice
    by Chris Bates (Author) (Paperback - May 2003)

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $45.00
    Buy new: $31.50
    Used & new from $31.45

    10. Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide
    by Eric A. Meyer (Paperback)
    Avg. Customer Rating:

    Usually ships in 24 hours
    List Price: $34.95
    Buy new: $24.47
    Used & new from $17.99

    Gerry Nance
    World Alumni Registry
    http://www.alumni.net
    Register Today! Pass it on...

    Gerry Nance, Jul 20, 2003
  4. Peacenik wrote:

    > "Al Moritz" <> wrote in message

    >> This did it for me: I had to get some serious HTML code design going.
    >> Still not inclined to learn HTML however (something you can criticize
    >> me for, but not point of this topic), I did some search on the web,
    >> and found the new program Word Cleaner:

    > ...and at this point, the red flag goes up, saying, "SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!"

    Not only crossposted, but multi-crossposted: there's at least one
    other copy crossposted to a bunch of MS groups.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 20, 2003
  5. Al Moritz

    Al Moritz Guest

    "Peacenik" <> wrote in message news:<sqiSa.87174$>...

    > > This did it for me: I had to get some serious HTML code design going.
    > > Still not inclined to learn HTML however (something you can criticize
    > > me for, but not point of this topic), I did some search on the web,
    > > and found the new program Word Cleaner:

    > ...and at this point, the red flag goes up, saying, "SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!"

    And West says:
    Maybe Al's post was Spam, maybe not?!

    Haha, that's what you get when you're enthusiastic about something:)
    Oh well, enthusiasm has no place anymore in this cynical world I guess
    <g>
    I thought my:

    They claim that it's so good blah blah and that it cleans up Word
    files professionally blah blah,...

    would be a clear signature that this is was no spam. Or have you ever
    seen self-deprecating spam? Me, never. Only TV commercials are
    sometimes self-deprecating, and then only in some rare cases and when
    the product is already super-established.

    Anyway, I haven't spent any money on the program yet (I still have a
    few days left on my trial version), but I will. It's just too
    convenient.

    Oh well, I waste my money, you waste your time!

    No, of course you don't, if you're proficient in HTML (I'm not). But
    even if you're proficient, I could imagine that the program might save
    you some time – converting in 2 seconds and then some amendments by
    hand, if necessary. That might still be faster than doing it by hand
    from scratch for every page – even with a fixed template at hand.
    Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not.

    I would appreciate in any case, if you could give me feedback on the
    HTML code (again, not my main page, but any other page on my site).
    Does it look good to you?

    Al Moritz, Jul 20, 2003
  6. Al Moritz

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <xPrSa.461870$>, Andrew
    Fedoniouk <> writes
    >Andrew. Author of the BlockNote.

    I can't see anything on your pages, that says BlockNote produces valid
    HTML.

    I did see this, though:

    <http://blocknote.net/features.html>

    Tables are essential in shaping and defining the layout of HTML
    documents.

    and your own pages are not only invalid, but mix CSS and non-CSS
    presentational markup.

    The same applies to your parent home page:

    <http://terra-informatica.org>

    which is clearly produced by BlockNote, and includes these gems:

    <TD nowrap bgcolor=#ffccff valign=middle align=center><FONT
    size=3> &nbsp;</FONT><A href="c-smile/index.htm"><FONT size=4
    color=#a0522d>C-SMILE</A></FONT></U></TD>

    TD nowrap bgcolor=#ffcc66 valign=middle align=center><FONT
    size=3> </FONT>micro<FONT size=3> </FONT><A
    href="utils/index.htm"><FONT size=4
    color=#a0522d>SMILES</A></FONT></U></TD>

    <DIV align=center>&nbsp;</DIV>

    (FU set)
    --
    Andy Mabbett
    USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:

    Andy Mabbett, Jul 20, 2003
  7. Al Moritz

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
    > http://blocknote.net
    > Andrew. Author of the BlockNote.
    > http://terra-informatica.org

    Nice editor!
    Don't have time to do a complete test, so a few questions:
    - Can I include a doc type?
    - Is it possible to apply CSS tags from the linked stylesheet?
    - Am I right that the built in validator is limited? (no warning for missing
    alt tag for example)
    Regards,
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Jul 20, 2003
  8. Jacqui or (maybe) Pete <> wrote in message

    > > ...and at this point, the red flag goes up, saying, "SPAM! SPAM! SPAM!"
    > >

    > Looks that way, but in fact if you research the poster (newsgroup
    > postings & homepage) it turns out to be legitimage enthusiasm.

    I can vouch for Al Moritz. He's (by now) a well-known reviewer of
    Stockhausen's music. Am sure he wasn't trying to sell you anything...!

    Richard Laing

    Richard Laing, Jul 22, 2003