Copying a web form within a project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eric, Jul 30, 2004.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Couple of general webform questions. Most are about html code
    created/managed by the editor. I work in GridLayout Mode.

    1. Is there a reference or guideline for how the html should appear
    when viewing a web form in HTML format, after you've added elements in
    design view? Can I change they way they are formatted for viewing?

    2. What's the easist way to clone a webform while inside a project. I
    don't want to inherit from it, I just want a new copy of it with a
    different name in the current project. See #3 below for the wrong way
    to do it.

    3. I created a new web form. I then selected all the elements on an
    existing web form and then copied and pasted them to the new web form.
    Now I cannot draw a box around the elements on the new form to select
    them. I have to select them manually. The form works and compiles, but
    it's very unstable in the development environment.

    Also when I copy and past an element it appears in the upper right
    hand corner. It's html appears outside of the form tag so if I try to
    recompile, I get a message telling me the new element needs to be
    inside of the form. Looking at the html, the element has been added to
    the very bottom of the html, outside of the </form> closing tag.

    I've also got a <DIV> tag on the suspect form too that appeared out of
    nowhere. Can anyone explain how that got there. I think he's the cause
    of my problems (from the cut and paste from the source form).

    Thanks in advance.
    Eric

    Eric, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Answers inline:

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    > Couple of general webform questions. Most are about html code
    > created/managed by the editor. I work in GridLayout Mode.

    Sorry, I never use Grid Layout. I think that some of your problems are due
    to grid layout, so I won't be able to answer those.

    > 1. Is there a reference or guideline for how the html should appear
    > when viewing a web form in HTML format, after you've added elements in
    > design view? Can I change they way they are formatted for viewing?

    It's just a readability issue, so of course, there's at least one standard
    per reader. :) You have some control over the formatting by using the
    options under Tools->Options->Text Editor->HTML/XML. The formatting options
    have become much richer under VS 2005 (beta).

    > 2. What's the easist way to clone a webform while inside a project. I
    > don't want to inherit from it, I just want a new copy of it with a
    > different name in the current project. See #3 below for the wrong way
    > to do it.

    In the solution explorer, right-click the web form and choose Copy. Then
    choose the folder you want it to go into and choose Paste.

    > 3. I created a new web form. I then selected all the elements on an
    > existing web form and then copied and pasted them to the new web form.
    > Now I cannot draw a box around the elements on the new form to select
    > them. I have to select them manually. The form works and compiles, but
    > it's very unstable in the development environment.
    >
    > Also when I copy and past an element it appears in the upper right
    > hand corner. It's html appears outside of the form tag so if I try to
    > recompile, I get a message telling me the new element needs to be
    > inside of the form. Looking at the html, the element has been added to
    > the very bottom of the html, outside of the </form> closing tag.
    >
    > I've also got a <DIV> tag on the suspect form too that appeared out of
    > nowhere. Can anyone explain how that got there. I think he's the cause
    > of my problems (from the cut and paste from the source form).

    I suspect that all of your problems in #3 are due to grid layout.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

    John Saunders, Jul 30, 2004