    as other relevant information to help you protect your copyright.
    Thank you,
    www.electronic-copyright.com
    ELCO, Apr 24, 2005

  2. ELCO <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > www.electronic-copyright.com invites anyone interested in protecting
    > their intellectual property copyright (including programming code) to
    > visit our website. We assist you in verifying your copyright ownership
    > by documenting the recorded date and content of your submitted files,
    > and by maintaining secure, encrypted copies of your intellectual
    > property to support your claim of copyright ownership in future
    > disputes. Our services and prices are described on our website, as well
    > as other relevant information to help you protect your copyright.
    > Thank you,
    > www.electronic-copyright.com

    I don't see how that could be of benefit to anyone other than the proprietor
    of the scheme. Unlike a patent application whose originality can be
    researched, an individual registering some given code cannot prove its
    originality or consequently his copyright.

    I think I'll stick to embedding threats of death and remote viewing, which
    should be far more effectual against plagiaristic types.
    --
    Stephen Chalmers
    Stephen Chalmers, Apr 24, 2005

  3. ELCO

    ELCO Guest

    It's a valid question. Basically, if a copyright registration service
    opens or tampers with the submitted material, they're out of business.
    The basic principle of copyright law is that copyright attaches
    automatically to the author (in any format, text, code, etc.) but in
    cases of dispute you have to PROVE your ownership; so it's a matter of
    comparing evidentiary proof. That's where copyright registration
    services come in, third party independent organizations which seal and
    date your submitted material, never opening or altering anything .
    Breaking the seal (either wax or electronically encrypted) breaks the
    evidentiary chain. So businesses which provide this service have to
    verify that whatever was in that package (or electronic file) has never
    been opened or altered. That's why they're sealed and secured.
    Copyright registration services don't know or want to know what's in
    all those envelopes or files; their business is maintaining secure
    copies of submitted material to help you prove your claim to copyright
    ownership in case of future disputes. Mailing yourself a copy (which
    can be tampered with) is weighed against the security measures of 3rd
    party businesses which specialize in this very service and have to
    account in court for their evidentiary security measures. Registering
    you copyright is simply insurance against the possibility of someone
    else using your intellectual property without payment or credit to you,
    and having to confront them in court. It's you and your envelope up
    against a third party which specializes in providing evidentiary
    support to copyright ownership claims.
    www.electronic-copyright.com
    ELCO, Apr 24, 2005