CORBA for Ruby?

RCS

Hi,

a Ruby newbie (me) wonders: are there any CORBA bindings (libraries) for
Ruby?

If so, where could I obtain them?

Btw, Ruby is really cool, it might even make me ditch Python.

TIA,

RCS

RCS

Shashank said:
The projects are pretty old though ... do not know if it will work
anymore for you.

Oops, they are old alright! So what do the contemporary Ruby programmer
do when distributed objects is the order of the day?

RCS

James Edward Gray II

Oops, they are old alright! So what do the contemporary Ruby
programmer do when distributed objects is the order of the day?

drb (included in the Standard Lib) is probably a little more The Ruby
Way.

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Edgardo Hames

Oops, they are old alright! So what do the contemporary Ruby programmer
do when distributed objects is the order of the day?

Mmmhhh... maybe Distributed Ruby (DRb)?
It comes with your Ruby installation.

Regards,
Ed

David Ross

James said:
If not all parties are Ruby-based, Ruby also has nice SOAP and XML-RPC
libs, too.

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/soap/rdoc/index.html
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/xmlrpc/rdoc/index.html

James
SOAP is nice. I've been using it very much. SOAP love! ;)

SOAP4R works very nice, NaHi(the creator) is a very helpful
person. I highly recommend SOAP. I recently completed a
couple projects using SOAP, and it was very easy to create a
portable way for information handling.

David Ross
--
Want to see others who are interested in Ruby?
See more Info at [ Website: http://www.rubymine.org/q=IRC ]

Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from [ Website: http://www.rubyarchive.org/ ]

gabriele renzi

RCS ha scritto:
Hi,

a Ruby newbie (me) wonders: are there any CORBA bindings (libraries) for
Ruby?

If so, where could I obtain them?

Btw, Ruby is really cool, it might even make me ditch Python.

people already talked about DRb.. I'll just add that Drb does not only
supports remote method invocation, but it even comes with an
implementation of Linda TupleSpace (Rinda) and with a jini-like system
(automatic service/clients discovery, named Rinda::Ring)

RCS

Thank you for the info, all!

I'll look into Drb, hope it's as efficient and scalable as CORBA.

RCS

Paul Brannan

Oops, they are old alright! So what do the contemporary Ruby
programmer do when distributed objects is the order of the day?

Corba is pretty ugly, so we do our best to avoid it whenever possible.
There are other solutions for Ruby that are more idiomatic.

However, at work we use Corba and need to interface our ruby scripts
with our C++ applications. Last I checked, rinn only supported UIOP and
not IIOP, so it was unusable between multiple machines. Instead of
taking the time to write real Corba bindings, we decided to write C++
extensions that wrap the Corba calls and are callable from Ruby.

We originally wrapped the extensions using SWIG, but decided that was
more trouble than it was worth (it doesn't provide a fine-grained enough
interface for creating types -- something we've found particularly
useful with enumerated types). We later wrote our own library similar
to boost::python called excruby, which we currently use today.

One idea we've had to make things a little easier is to write a C++
interface to the TAO interface repository and the dynamic invocation
interface (DII). This would allow Corba wrappers to be dynamically
generated, which would make the actual calls using DII (so the library
wouldn't actually have to speak Corba). Finding/making time for such a
project is difficult, though.

Paul