could not load type namepsace.Global

Guest

Hi,

Like many others, I've search the newsgroups and KB's and none quite seem to
be the problem I am encountering.

The problem is as follows:

1) I originally created an ASP.Net Web Application and developed the app as
normal. In doing this, when running the app, VS2005 creates a Virtual Server
with it's own port number to host the application in - fine, no problems.

2) I decided that I wanted the app to run within IIS and therefore removed
the project from the solution and added it in again as an existing Web Site
after web sharing the projects directory.

3) This ran fine for a while until VS2005 crashed(!) whilst doing
Performance problems. Suddenly, the modules were messed up and VS2005 would
not compile the source code, but only use the already built DLL's in the bin
directory. However, when removing and adding the project as a Web Application
(not a Web Site) I could develop against it fine.

4) Putting it back as a web site used the new DLL's created when built as a
web app. However, the source files weren't getting compiled still. Here's
where the problems start. If I removed the DLL's then I get the error

could not load type namespace.Global

The project was not recompiling the DLL from the source files (the main
problem) and therefore couldn't find anything in the bin directory.

Why is VS2005 refusing to build the project when it's added as an existing
Web Site? I have had this problem numerous times whilst migrating from 2003
web sites to 2005. It's a real pain, and one I haven't fully resolved.

I have experimented and found that adding the Web Folders App_Code and
moving the global.asax file there helps, but it still fails to find the web
pages that are placed in the root directory.

Can anyone help with this please? Most of the forums suggest it's a
namespace issue, but no namespaces have changed.

I hope someone can help.

Kind Regards

S. Rumsey