CPAN troubles again

Arkady Zilberberg

Hello all,
a few days ago I posted a message describing my problems installing
a module from CPAN (namely, Win32::SerialPort). Since then, I also
tried to install the required Win32::API manually (even though I
configured CPAN to automatically install dependencies) and failed
yet again - this time 'make' fails with an error during Callback.dll
creation with one unresolved reference: _itoa.
I will try to debug the problem but it still doesn't answer my first
question "Why Win32::SerialPort doesn't create the Makefile?"
Is there anyone familiar with such problems? I'm using perl 5.8.5
under cygwin/Windows 2000.

Thanks in advance,
Arkady.

Jim Keenan

Arkady said:
Hello all,
a few days ago I posted a message describing my problems installing
a module from CPAN (namely, Win32::SerialPort).
[snip]

I will try to debug the problem but it still doesn't answer my first
question "Why Win32::SerialPort doesn't create the Makefile?"

It fails because it's a failure as a module. Go to
http://testers.cpan.org/show/Win32-SerialPort.html#Win32-SerialPort-0.19
and note that the module failed the one test it needed to pass, viz.,
the test on Win32. Go further to
http://search.cpan.org/~bbirth/Win32-SerialPort-0.19/ and note that the
module was last updated on 05 Nov 1999.

In other words, it's dead.

But to return to your original question: How to set the baud rate on a
serial port (Perl under cygwin)? Why Cygwin? My impression is that
Cygwin is primarily used to provide a Unix-like command interface in a
Win32 environment, i.e., it's primarily for the programmer's
convenience rather than for ongoing production. But your problem
sounds like a production problem. What prevents you from solving this
problem in a "regular" Win32 environment and perhaps using, say,
ActivePerl, a Perl distribution fine-tuned for Win32?

Jim Keenan

Sisyphus

Jim said:
Arkady said:
Hello all,
a few days ago I posted a message describing my problems installing
a module from CPAN (namely, Win32::SerialPort).

[snip]

I will try to debug the problem but it still doesn't answer my first
question "Why Win32::SerialPort doesn't create the Makefile?"

It's not intended to create a Makefile. The intention is that you run
(in succession):
perl Makefile.PL
perl test.pl
perl install.pl

That's the way the author set it up. Hard to see that such a procedure
is going to fit very well with CPAN and CPANPLUS requirements :)
It fails because it's a failure as a module. Go to
http://testers.cpan.org/show/Win32-SerialPort.html#Win32-SerialPort-0.19
and note that the module failed the one test it needed to pass, viz.,
the test on Win32.

Yes - but it did pass 5 of the 7 test scripts - and on those 2 scripts
it did fail, it failed *all* tests, which looks (to me) suspiciously
like it could be a bug in those 2 scripts, rather than a problem with
the actual module.
Go further to
http://search.cpan.org/~bbirth/Win32-SerialPort-0.19/ and note that the
module was last updated on 05 Nov 1999.

In other words, it's dead.

I'm not so sure that's correct ..... it *may* be ..... I'm just not sure :)

I think people are still getting good mileage out of this module.
But to return to your original question: How to set the baud rate on a
serial port (Perl under cygwin)? Why Cygwin? My impression is that
Cygwin is primarily used to provide a Unix-like command interface in a
Win32 environment, i.e., it's primarily for the programmer's
convenience rather than for ongoing production. But your problem
sounds like a production problem. What prevents you from solving this
problem in a "regular" Win32 environment and perhaps using, say,
ActivePerl, a Perl distribution fine-tuned for Win32?

No arguments there. What you say makes perfect sense. In any case,
installing the Win32-specific modules on Cygwin is always liable to be
difficult.

Cheers,
Rob

Jim Keenan

Sisyphus said:
Jim Keenan wrote:
[snip]

It's not intended to create a Makefile. The intention is that you run
(in succession):
perl Makefile.PL
perl test.pl
perl install.pl

That's the way the author set it up. Hard to see that such a procedure
is going to fit very well with CPAN and CPANPLUS requirements :)
Agreed.
Yes - but it did pass 5 of the 7 test scripts - and on those 2 scripts
it did fail, it failed *all* tests, which looks (to me) suspiciously
like it could be a bug in those 2 scripts, rather than a problem with
the actual module.
Ah, you read farther than I did.

I'm not so sure that's correct ..... it *may* be ..... I'm just not sure
:)

I think people are still getting good mileage out of this module.

Rob Rothenberg, who's knowledgeable on Windows, reviewed this module at
http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Win32-SerialPort. I think he would tend
to agree with your last statement.

Jim Keenan

Josef Moellers

Arkady said:
Hello all,
a few days ago I posted a message describing my problems installing
a module from CPAN (namely, Win32::SerialPort). Since then, I also
tried to install the required Win32::API manually (even though I
configured CPAN to automatically install dependencies) and failed
yet again - this time 'make' fails with an error during Callback.dll
creation with one unresolved reference: _itoa.
I will try to debug the problem but it still doesn't answer my first
question "Why Win32::SerialPort doesn't create the Makefile?"
Is there anyone familiar with such problems? I'm using perl 5.8.5
under cygwin/Windows 2000.

Sisyphus (poor guy) already pointed out how to install SerialPort.
I have also tried to install Win32::API and have resorted to use ppm to
install it. That worked for me.

I, too, use SerialPort and Win32::API and am quite happy with it.
The only problem I have is that SerialPort does not provide timeouts on
the first character, but using polling (timeout 0xffffffff) and
usleep(1000), I managed to fake it.

Josef

Sisyphus

Josef said:
Sisyphus (poor guy)

Five years of posting all over the place ... and finally, some sympathy.
Thanks Josef.

Josef Möllers (Pinguinpfleger bei FSC)
-- T. Pratchett

If success were not a prize failure would incur no penalty.

Cheers,
Rob