create stand alone application

tomer

Hi All

I need to write an information system,
I wont to write this system with java, the system need stand alone,
I mean that when I run this program I don't wont to run it from a develpment
area,
I want to run it from icon on the desktop.

maybe I will need a installation program.....(can i do it)?

Thanks, tomer

Andrew Thompson

a)

that's one way, using an install builder or JAR to EXE utility is another,

b) That is not a good solution generally..
using the Invocation API is a third.

Which makes it a 'chicken and egg' problem.

You then need an "...icon on the desktop." to launch the invoking
class. How are you going to get that?

We come back to a) or b). Of the two, a) is the best solution
for a Java application.

Andy Flowers

Andrew said:

There's a wrinkle with Java WebStart however. The corporate world.

If the OP is trying to target these then they are more likely to accept a
pre-packaged desktop solution that they can test, or a web application.

There area lot of large corporations out there (and probably countless other
companies of various sizes) that do not like to have any applications
downloaded onto their carefully tested, standard PC images, no matter how it
is sold to them. They will allow pre web applications or desktop
applications that go through weeks/months of testing to ensure they won't
break anything.

I work for one of these and they try hard to prevent web start applications
[and ActiveX for that matter] along with as many applets as they can get
away with via a very hefty, and overly restrictive, security policy.

Personally I believe Java Web Start is an excellent technology but I'm a
technologist NOT corporate risk management, but given enough time all the
scares from badly secured applets and the more problematic ActiveX will
hopefully begin to fade and we can start to see more use of this technology.

BTW, Microsoft now has very similar technology with .NET, wonder where they
got the idea for that from :).

Ferenc Hechler

Hello tomer,

if you use eclipse you can use the plugin Fat Jar
http://fjep.sourceforge.net/
which packs together all project libraries and references into one "fat"
jar.
If you have an JRE installed under windows you can start this jar by simply
double clicking.

bye,
feri